1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Top Gun Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by schneep, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schneep

schneep Member

Came across a couple thousand Federal Top Gun hulls, once fired.

I use Alliant e3 powder exclusively.

I shoot a 1 oz load with my WinAA and use the DR-XL-1 wad.

In looking in their guide, I find I can use that SAME wad in a Federal Gold Metal with a 1 1/8 oz load. (Not sure how that works/)

Everything I have read says to load the Top Gun the same as the Gold Metal.

Both loads give the same fps

Is this a good load and am I correct with my data??

I would naturally change my powder bushing to match each load. I use a Fed209A primer.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Federals are straight walled hulls, so there is more interior room. The Alliant website lists your load with that wad for 1 1/8 oz and e3, but uses a Fed209A primer. You didn't say which primer you are presently using. Top Gun hulls use a paper basewad, so make sure they haven't gotten wet. They are good for a one time reload, then toss them. Mark

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Load is correct. When using a tapered wad in a straight walled hull you use a 1 ounce wad for 1-1/8 ounce shot. The Top Gun is larger inside than a AA.

Wayne

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the Claybuster Red Eight was with one ounce loads. I use a bulky powder.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Loading some now with GD @ 22grs., DRV, approx. 1250fps. - my best long-range load for 1 1/8 oz.

1oz, CB 12S0 clone, 18.5 grs. E3 @ 1250fps. - my best 1 oz. load.

Switched from AA and Rems. to these 2 loads and have never looked back - and plenty of hulls - 2 reloads and toss.

Was being somewhat questioned by some top sporting clay shooters that I was shooting reloads in registered events when I should be shooting AA SHCP or STS HCP. So..............I took them to the pattern board and we patterned the AA, the STS and the 1 1/8 oz. reload mentioned above - the reload was right there with them - all within 10 pellets of ea. other for 3 patterns each. $5/box compared to $9.70/box with tax. What's not to like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.