1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading tips for beginners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tailbuster, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Well Mac,

I seem to have learned that lesson after doing it twice. That makes you a quick study. Now, we must keep in mind that I could still do it again since I am still loading. Boy, I hope not.

all the best,
    john

2. Trapmike

Trapmike TS Member

I just started reloading; I have under a 1500 rounds to my credit. I can tell you what worked for me. RESEARCH!! I bent every old timer’s ear I could find. I got lots of tips and tricks before I got started. Get a scale first and foremost they all said that, don’t start reloading without one. Get an adjustable charge bar, more accurate than bushings, and it is adjustable for fine tuning. If you are using a MEC get a bottle support so if you lean the bottles back they don’t break off. Buy the book, MEC shotshell reloading secrets, it is full of tips for newbies like us. The cookies tray, is a must or some other retention set up for under the reloader. If it is a progressive run it in single stage for a bit to you get the hang of it, then start the progressive loading and go slow. I don’t have any big spills yet just some small ones where I move the bar with nothing under it and spill a charge of powder and shot. Another good tip buy the bottle funnels/fills it makes loading the bottles in place very easy. I know a lot of guys that buy an large bottle and use it for powder, in place of the small bottle. Fewer fills, mean more time loading instead of feeding the beast. Enjoy, and go slow. I love reloading, it is lots of fun and I enjoy breaking birds with my shells more, I am still chasing 25 straight but I am getting closer.

Mike S.

3. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

another thing make sure the bag of lead your grabbing doesn't already have a whole in it there went prolly 5 lbs a lead before i realized what was happening and stopped it.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

The best piece of advice that i can add is to SLOW DOWN. 99% of my mistakes made early on were due to rushing. just go slow and pay close attention and the learning curve will be alot shorter.

brett d.

5. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Brett is right, biggest tip is slow down. When I went from a MEC Jr to a 9000G, it didn't take long to learn this lesson. The old Jr was a "mistake free" press, compared to a 9000G, where a whole lot of oops can happen is a short time. Still finding some of those oops on the line. Slow down, watch whats going on and good shells, without the thrills and spills soon follow.

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

Change the bottles on a MEC periodically. It's really nasty when both the powder and shot bottles crack at almost the same time. This is another, don't ask how I know this piece of advice.

7. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Just yesterday I made the mistake of remmoving the plug in the end of the powder bottle. Got side tracked on something else for a short period of time and went back to the bottle situation and pulled the bottles back to replace the bushing. Got powder everywhere including in the boxes I had setting by the reloader. Had to take each box appart and dump the powder out of them . Had about 9 boxes to dump. Replaced all the shells and cleaned up the powder in the cookie trey. Made for an easier cleanup with it, or it would have gone everywhere on the bench. I have been loading since 1970. Goes to show ya, things happen. Even to us long time loaders!! Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

8. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

Take at least a cupful of powder and two handfulls of shot and toss them in the air before you start. Ends the mystery of when it is going to happen and you can get on with it. BW

P.S. It will happen

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Magnum Thunder: You don't have to tilt anything to refill powder or shot. Sacrifice a bottle by cutting the top 2/3 off and sanding off the threads. This will allow you to fill both bottles while on the press. I've done this for years. It doesn't prevent other mistakes while using the press but catch as much lead as you can and take it out back and blow the powder away with a shop vac., while pouring the shot from one container to another. Been doing this for years also but particularly since lead is so high priced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.