1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading the new gold medals

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by verypoor, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verypoor

verypoor Member

My crimps are dished in. 18 gr 700x and a 12s3. The old ribbed hulls look perfect with the same components.The only way i get a good looking shell is with a tgt12 wad. Anyone else experience this?

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I load the new Fed ribbed hulls using Red Dot and Green Dot with 12 S3 wads. PW 800+. I get very good, tight, flat crimps that are almost indistinguishable from factory crimps. Often times when changing hull bands, you need to make slight adjustments in the pre-crimp and/or crimp stations to get great looking crimps.

JMAC

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I had the same dished crimp results with 18gr Promo and 12s3's.

I cut open a couple and it looks like the base on the new GM's are more concave than the old style, giving the case slightly more internal capacity.

A 1 ounce wad did make a better looking load. But w/ 6000+ 12s3's on hand, I adjusted the machine to minimize the dish and left it at that.

I haven't tried Green Dot in them yet. A bulkier powder might help.

4. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

Jmac......maybe you just have premium hulls that are trained for perfection ;)

mac

5. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I think you may have something there, Mac. They arrived at my doorstep, well trained with a no "lost bird" guarantee!!! works for me.

JMAC

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't stuff the wad in as far as you do now. It doesn't have to sit on the powder. Push the wad in only deep enough that the top of the pellet load is only about 3/8" down inside the hull before the pre-crimp is applied.

Keller

7. verypoor

verypoor Member

I have always pressed the wad down on the powder. Would leaving the wad up cause a delay fire?

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Federal Gold Medal smoothies or ribbed

18.2 grains of Clay Dot

1 ounce of #8

WAA12SL wads

Winchester 209 primers

Results = Very good crimps and when I do my part the target is reduced to an ink ball!

Frank

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Seat the wad to the powder. Adjust the machine or find a more compatible wad-powder combination. Failure to seat the wad could lead to powder migration past the powder cup.

Robert

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Leaving a straight-wall wad above the powder will cause NO problems in a straight walled hull.

Keller

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If it shoots good, don't worry about the cosmetic looks.
    Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.