1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reloading the 300 Weatherby Mag.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WesleyB, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

Anyone care to share what Powders you use or think is the best. First time for me to reload a 300 Weatherby Mag.

Thanks
    WesleyB
  2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

The 180 gr premium boat tail hunting bullet is the way to go on this round. You can get 3200+ fps, which gives it a good trajectory out to almost 400 yards, and a lot of long range horsepower. The ONLY reason to have this caliber is for shots OVER 300 yards.

IMR 7828, Alliant RL-25 or Hodgdon H1000 is going to be hard to beat.

Nosler's 180 gr Ballistic Tip is a very accurate hunting bullet. For big game that can bite back and MUST be anchored immediately, use the 180 Nosler Partition. Forget lighter bullets. At long range, the heavier bullet will outperform them.

Use ONLY the Fed 215 or Fed 215M. This primer was designed for the Weatherby Mags.

This is not a plinker. Without a brake, it will ring your bell. With a brake, use muffs AND plugs, and let others on the range know it is time to gear up.

The 26" barrel makes the 300 roar.
  3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

And put a bag of shot between your shoulder and the gun.

HM
  4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Norma MRP always worked the best for me.

Trap-4
  5. hmb

hmb Active Member

IMR-4831. HMB
  6. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

Thanks for the information !! You get alot of good people here that have been there and done that.

Also I see that some loads say powder is compressed?? I see that some powders are spherical and some are long and short pelleted (extruded?) The spherical would prob not fill the case and the long extruded would or even over fill the case so you have to compress it to get the number of grains of powder needed for the load. I read your case needed to be almost full so you have good burn. Where the spherical that meters well is more dense and the case is not very full and get inconsistant burns.

Anything to that?
    Thanks
    WesleyB
  7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I tend to over do this one...

I square and true the primer pockets, de-burr the flash hole, fire form and case neck trim for length and diameter... net result is three shots can be covered with a dime when shot at 300 yards (if I do my part) - done it once or twice with five shots too.

I've had good luck with MRP and any of the slow burning IMR powders - I agree you want a full case (I would rather compress the powder than not) and I too am partial to the Federal primers. I've not tried it, but I've a friend who swears by the Vita Vouri powders for this round.

My rifle likes anything from 150 grains and up (cartridge LOA can interfere with really heavy bullets - 200+).

This cartridge has a lot of free bore and playing with how deeply you seat the bullet can turn a lousy round into a tack driver (and vice versa).

You'll need to experiment with your rifle - what works for me may not work for you...

Safe shooting,

David D
  8. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

A wealth of information here...WOW
  9. hmb

hmb Active Member

Find a load where the powder fills the case to the base of the neck. It's easy to check the cases after you drop the powder to see if you have the right amount in the case. And after you seat the bullet you will have little or no air space. HMB
  10. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

HMB does the IMR 4831 do that for you?
  11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

H870 MRP H1000 and for the super heavy bullets H4831
  12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I found IMR 7828 to be the best for Weatherby cartridges. this is some amazing stuff, we had one guy loading a 7 Mag with it to unheard of velocities without pressure signs.

The Weatherby loadings are in the back of the IMR handout book in a special section. If you need it email me.

HM
  13. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I also found IMR 7828 to be the best for Weatherby cartridges. I load 85 grs. of IMR 7828 with Fed 215M primers, Weatherby brass, and 180 gr. Nossler Partition bullets. They Chronograph 3222 fps and shoot 2 inch, three shot groups at 300 yds, calm day, in my Weatherby Mark V with 26 inch barrel. BRGII
  14. shooterIII

shooterIII Member

I reload for the 240 Weatherby Mag and the 270 Weatherby Mag and have found that the most accurate loads are found on the NORMA website. All factory Weatherby ammo is loaded by NORMA. The powders amd primers they use I have found are the most accurate.

Click on the above website.

The info on the website is in 3 differint lanques, so if you surf the site, in the upper right hand corner are three flages, for English click on the British flag.

Stan
  15. DK65

DK65 TS Member

16. DK65

DK65 TS Member

sorry for double post --- itchy enter finger...

7828 is great stuff - I really favor it in my 7mm rem mag. I can load everything from low-recoil plinker rounds to high-velocity (very high) deer slayers.

Never shot it in a 300... but I imagine it would do well.

Cheers

drew
  17. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

IMR 7828, 180g Speer GS, Federal Magnum primer, and Remington cases. This is the only load my rifle will shoot. I thought I was going to wear the barrel out before I found a load. It will shoot three touching at 100 yds.......Roger
  18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

If one is going to shoot the Nosler BT bullet up close, it will have issues. However, if one is going to shoot at close in game, one does not need the big 300.

I only wear lace on my shorts when I shoot Skeet. LOL

As far as getting four table spoons of powder in a three tablespoon case, using a drop tube is a standard in such instances.

Years ago (many years ago), I had a MK V Sporter in 300. It needed the obligatory bag of shot between the gun and my shoulder.

I have shot big rifles successfully. I have also sparred with younger, stronger opponents in a ring. I see no need for doing either again. (snicker)

I can still shoot the big guns, but in my doddering old age (63 this spring), I have come back home to the stodgy 30/06 as my most powerful game rifle.
  19. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have never tried it, but believe that 4831 SG would come very close to what you are looking for. (SG stands for Short Grain.)
  20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What?

No posts from anyone saying to use this powder or that one because its "Made in the USA?"

Sorry, my attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.