1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Table

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by growler, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. growler

growler Member

I am going to be building a reloading table. I have been looking online to get some ideas not very helpfull. Does anyone know of a good site to get some ideas or post photos of yours and what you would of do diffrent after you built it. This is going to be for shootgun only.
    Thank you kevin

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kevin, It would be helpfull to tell us what type of reloader you are going to use. Single stage or progressive and so on. Each loader has slightly different needs. The table does need to be strong and stiff (no side to side movement). It could be free standing or attached to one, or two, or three walls, depending on where you want it located. There is also some threads you can locate here on TS.com and look at if you do a "search" as this has been brought up before. Let us know what loader you plan to use. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here you go. The clutter is optional. Jim

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/?action=view&current=newshootmaker017.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Click here to see 5 pages of this same topic being discussed on the Shotgun World Forum. Hope this helps. Josh

5. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

This is mine. It works fine, and it's strong, it has to be to put up with the forces imposed on it by the constant yanking and banking. I also store numerous jugs of shot on the shelf, so must be sturdy. Cheap 2x4's and 3/4" particle board shelves.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, I've tried numerous times to get this to load easily, and it doesn't work on this forum like it does on EVERY OTHER FORUM IN THE WORLD, so you'll just have to click or link or whatever this forum insists on.

I'm done, deal with it.

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

[​IMG]<br><br>Here you go RV4driver. Josh

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Growler: Obviously the bench needs to be solid and stable, but what a lot of people don't consider is that it needs to be able to store your components too.

Mull this idea round in your head.

Try using used, or if you like, new kitchen cabinets for the base. Several modules with drawers and or doors, with a section of Formica covered counter top on top would be a neat and clean way to set up. You could also do a drawer module on either side and have an open section in the center for your chair to fit in. This could be a free standing unit or better yet you could attach it to the wall of your choice, and you could also make it portable by screwing the cabinets to the top so it could be disassenbled for moving. Also the formica counter top material has a rolled front edge so stuff doesn't roll off onto the floor, a backsplash so stuff doesn't fall into the void behind, and is super easy to clean.

It would be as simple as going to the local Home Depot/ Lowes etc. and buying some cabinet modules. (alot of times they have blems or ones that didn't get sold, you can get for few $) and having a counter top cut to whatever length you want. Or using used cabinets from your's or your neighbors remodeled kitchen .

Realistically I see something very usuable built for $100-150 complete new. It would be easy to build, it would look good when you are done, and would have space for everything needed for reloading.

It will likely cost that much for the materials for an open bench, and it won't have drawers or any closed storage.

I actually saw a Skeet Shooter's reloading room with cabinets like this down one wall and 4 Spolars mounted in a line. NO clutter whatsoever. As soon as you're done you put all of the unused stuff away in the drawers, as well as your loaded product!!!

Good Luck
    Randy

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A nice heavy old fashioned metal desk is perfect. And you can position the loader with a hole so the primers (and the finished shell too, if you wish) drop through into a container.

Mine was once a school intercom console.

HM

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I went to a college surplus sale and got a heavy duty 8x4 table. It is a heavy table that you can bolt down your loader and I have never moved it while reloading. I only paid $35.00 for it. I did cut a hole it it so the reloaded shell just falls in a bucket. The bucket can hold more then I can pick up if full. I think it came out of a library.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

3/4" ply, a few 2/4's, and some 3" deck screws. If you can't figure out how to build a 35" high bench, maybe, you should not be reloading Are you helpless?

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

When my wife got her laptop she said throw out the computer desk, so i took it & set it in my loading room mounted the loader,, added a couple of shelves & braces and LO & Behold a (for me) a perfect bench. lotsa storage, doors, drawers, shelves, pigeon holes etc. above & below, later put wheels (heavy duty) under it makes it easy to move for cleaning & does not look all that bad either. also price was right, and( for me) very handy .. size is about 20 in X 60 in, not the biggest i have seen but fine for my needs.. Ross Puls

12. willing

willing Member

If you plan to sit down while loading be sure to make room for your knees.

Bill

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've got my MEC 900H mounted on an old and no longer needed computer desk; one of those cheap desks for the computer. When I set it up, I thought it would be temporary until I could cobble a nicer set up together but that was roughly 15 years ago and I can't imagine a better set up now. I sit at the desk, handle the wads and hulls with both hands, spent primers fall through a hole to a large bowl, I operate the hydraulic with one foot, and loaded shells fall into a PVC pipe and are routed to a cardboard box on the garage floor. Total expenditure was a little time and disposing of a cheap desk from in the home.....Bob Dodd

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Buy a Sears workbench kit... some have drawers and storage plus a hardboard or chip board bench top easy to drill through and maintain... don't reinvent the wheel...

regards all,

Jay

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember you have to have a bench that resists lifting as well as pressure when pulling down on the lever (unless you have a hydraulic, I guess). You can fix this by either building something heavy or have a way to anchor the legs, neither of which is ideal.

I always build mine from 3/4" plywood and 2X4s. Cut the plywood down the center so that you have a pair of 2'X8' sections. Take an 8' 2x4 and nail it horizontally to the wall at a height you prefer (depends on your loader and your personal physical condition). Put one of your 2'X8' plywood sheets on a couple chair backs and place it on top of the 8' 2x4 and nail or screw it in place. Next, begin cutting 2x4s so that the will butt up against the studs in the wall. Pre-drill some holes near the feet of these "legs" and attach with lag screws to the studs, use deck screws to fasten the plywood top to the 2x4 legs. Then put the second 2'x8' sheet on top and fasten it to the first plywood sheet. You can trim and varnish as you want and it will be strong and will give you quite a bit of room. The "legs" being tucked under give you knee room if you need it and they aren't in the way when cleaning. The only disadvantage is shelves below the bench are sort of limited. Good luck.

16. BrowningGuy

BrowningGuy Member

[​IMG]

I found these craftman work benches at a trift store, works great. Love my auto-mate. Tony

17. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I built mine using a used solid core door. The hardware store sells a leg kit and I put a shelf underneath. It is rock steady and did not cost much, pretty easy to construct. Bob

18. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I went to a garage sale and found a used coffee table made of solid wood. It's like an inch thick. Cut off the legs and then hinged it to a 2x4 that was fixed to the wall studs in my garage. Then I made a couple of 2x4 legs that can be removed so the table can then be lowered flat against the wall giving me space in the garage when not in use. Jim

19. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I came across this on ebay and thought it was neet,

thanks
    lee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Where did you see this reloading table on Ebay? What section?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading a table

shooting reloader table
wooden reloading table for sale