1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading STS 20 ga.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kaycee, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaycee

kaycee TS Member

I have inherited a P&W 20 ga reloader and would like to reload as close to the Remington STS spec's as possible. I am new to reloading so all help with components is welcome. I have seen Whiz White on here and if he has any suggestions I would appreciate them. Thanks All Kevin

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

You can't actually get there since Remington ammunition is loaded with non-canister powders that are not available to the public. Using powders that are available, I would suggest:
    STS 20 ga Hull
    Remington STS primer
    Remington RXP20 wad
    16.0 grains Hodgdon Universal powder
    7/8 oz magnum (hard) shot

This should be a hair over 1200 fps.

3. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I load RGC hulls and their Sport loads with 14 gr of 700X with 7/8 winchester wads if thats any help . I will get some claybuster wads as I`m out of Winchesters . I don`t like the STS`s after they have been shot a few times . The cheaper hulls seem better to me - 6 or 8 point - doesn`t matter .

4. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I see no difference with my loads . Breaks targets when your on . 700X is listed in my book for 20 ga .

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Bob Ks recommendation is very good...actually, many use slightly less - 15 gr. of Universal - little slower velocity but lower pressure. This is the load some of the top skeet shooters use for 20 ga. when using 20s in the 12 ga. event, as well as the 20 and doubles events. Ed

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a book that lists 700-X for 28 , that was 20 years ago when it was DUPONT powder, no loads in the current IMR guide for any 20ga with 700-x except Federal ,use at your own risk. JP

7. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I do have both books from Dupont and IMR for reloading 20ga hulls . Since some of the recipes from both books on the same hulls show exactly the same results and I am loading only 14 gr. that should be lower than 1200 fps and abt 10000 chamber pressure , it seems to me they are very similar with the different manufacturers . Just because they haven`t listed "all" of the powders , primers and hulls -- which the book may be too heavy to publish for the average reloader , I don`t think I`m taking that big a chance since I`m not looking for a sky buster load for trap , skeet or S/C. They do list 700X in the safe range using 12.1 - 15.5 , although they aren`t listed for the RGC or STS hulls but what the hell . I`ve been shooting this for 4 years . I tried it with 12.5-13 gr. and had light loads and they wouldn`t eject from an auto so I upped it to 14 gr.and they work just fine .

8. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

I have very good results with SR 7625 and 800X in the 20's. Slower powders seem to do much better and give better speeds.

ol 12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.