1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Starter Kit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Beiser, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beiser

John Beiser TS Member

I am interested in getting into reloading (for rifle and piostol, not shotgun shells). I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good starter kit for reloading. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

RCBS has a kit. And all of their stuff is good. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. And get a good reloading manual and read it...

Bruce

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Buy good stuff once . Digital Scale more then one loading manual . If your going to load Handgun Ammo a single stage is real slow but good for rifle bad for handgun .

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Lee equipment is not bad, but I think sometimes they get a bad rap.

If you're going to go full bore into reloading, you might look at the more expensive stuff.

If you're going to dabble in it, like I do (I think I reload a batch of rifle cartridges every other year), the Lee stuff will probably last you forever.

Get a good scale. Digital scales are not necessarily any more accurate, but they sure are easier to use and easier to read.

Get several reloading handbooks and read them.

5. williray

williray TS Member

My first reloading outfit was a Lee Anniversary kit I think I paid $70 for it and it included everything to start reloading. Then of course I had to purchase bullets, carts, primers,powder I think I walked out of Cabelas shelling out $150.

Since then I now have 5 presses & all kinds of good stuff to reload with. Mostly Lee stuff, I sure helps pass the winters in Michigan.

Oh did I mention a worktable? a Roll around tool kit? Oh Yeah!! a room is nice too!!

It all comes with the territory. This is by no means meant to discourage you from reloading or flaming you, simply a heads up as to what'll happen down the road. Keep your eye out for Estate sales and peek in on the garage sales too!

The other thing to remember is with the Dems in ammo may be very hard to come by or very expensive!!!

Feel free to Email me for help if you want.

Shoot Well!!

Ray Williams

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Get a Lee kit, they are better than most people give them credit for being. I have several customers that bought them years ago and are still using them.If you decide reloading is not for you sell it for 75 to 80% of what you paid for it to a new person wanting to get started. If you like reloading sell it and upgrade to Redding or RCBS equipment. Good Luck with what ever route you go..

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

RCBS Rockchucker Kit. It comes with a scale and almost everything you would need. You will also need dies and shell holders. The Lee stuff is alright if you are undecided, but if you think you might stick with it, the RCBS kit is a good start. It's not that expensive to begin with and you'd eventually upgrade to it anyway, if you decided to stick with it.

8. too fast

too fast TS Member

John one neighbor passed on and his wife gave me his shooting supplies and he had a like new Lee Lock-N-Load Classic Kit which Cabelas sells for $299.99 in there catalog. I don't reload rifle or pistol shells and would sell for $100.00 plus $20.00 shipping. Has 38 Spec and 357 Mag dies. Included is the powder scale, powder drop, press, owners manuel and reloading book plus theloading dies. If you have any interest give me a call @916-599-3314 Calif time. Thanks Jim L Luis

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

The Lee Classic Cast single stage press is a pretty good one. I bought one on a whim, and I like it as much as my Rockchucker. I especially like the spent primer tube that can be run to a trash can under my bench. I don't know about the rest of their stuff, though.

10. gotbass

gotbass Member

Jim - check you pm - Mike

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Look at the NEW Lee challanger. not the old one. If you are not into loading 500 a day it is a good set up. The dillon is a very good press with a VERY good price. Dont go with a digital scale they can fail and that can make for a BAD day. Lee has a kit now and their powder measure works good . I like the Lyman 55 measure . but I have been doing it for 40yrs

12. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I think you would be happy with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit. Sinclair sells it for $304.95 and includes in addition to the press, Model 505 powder/bullet schale, uniflow powder measure, Speer reloading manual, hand held priming tool, hex key set, loading block, case luber kit, powder funnel and case mouth deburring tool.

As stated previous, study/read the reloading manuals (I use Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler and Sierra to name a few).

Good Luck and have fun loading and shooting.

Allen

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

How many rounds a week will you shoot? How many different calibers?

PM me with the answers and I will advise you as best I can.

Don Verna (who has 10 reloaders)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.