1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading slugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangover, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangover

hangover Member

When you reload slugs, do you have to use a roll crimp or can you use the same crimp you use for standard reloads? I want to reload lightfields and they shoot well and are cheap from Midway if you reload them. LYMAN MAKES A ROLL CRIMP YOU CAN PUT ON A DRILL. Has anyone used this?

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Go to www.castbulletassoc.org and you will find a lot of articles on slug loading. You can use both roll and fold crimp with the right reloads. Lyman and Lee also have reloading data.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Get yourself a roll crimper. I wouldn't have a fold crimp slug load for the safety aspect alone. That is just scary! I have roll crimps in 10,12 and 28ga and use them for special loads as well as slug loads. Ballistic products has a new roll crimp out that they designed for commercial applications. I would buy that one.

I nice roll crimp will put a smile on your face every time!Jeff

4. kriegart

kriegart Member

I agree with Super X. I use a Dangerous Game Slug 1 1/8oz. I load it with 23g of Green Dot in a new Fiocci hull with a roll crimp. 1430fps and 9700 psi. Ballistic Products has all the stuff you will need. The hull vise is a great little tool too. Kriegart

5. hangover

hangover Member

Thanks for all the advise.

6. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I've tried everything and the easiest is to cast a 0.690 ball and place it into a 7/8 ounce wad and simply star crimp.

Some hulls are thicker than others so test for chambering before loading a bunch. Cut the wad petals off if you have problems with chambering.

I use 18.5 grains of Red Dot and these are way more accurate for me than cast slugs.

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have loaded Lyman slugs with an 8 pt. Crimp. SR4756 powder. Great groups and exceptional knock down power. I just make sure I use a hull I don't use for trap loads.

8. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Googgle "CSS Sabots" which is a gunshop in New Jersey that sells sabots for
    12 and 20 gauge shotgun slug reloading using .45 and .50 pistol bullets. They also offer loading data. I have been loading for the 20 gauge using the Hornady
    .45 250 gr FTX bullet and it just knocks the deer into the dirt.

All my slugs are roll crimped re-using the Hornady 20 ga SST hulls as range pick ups. I tried using a folded crimped case and they will not roll crimp after being folded.

My load is ww-209 primer, 31.0 bluedot, one CSS gas seal plus four 1/8 fiber wads, a 20 gauge sabot with the Hornady .45 250 gr FTX bullet, roll crimped.

This load shoots under 1 inch at 50 yards and under 1 1/2 inches at 100yards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20gaslugreloads
ballistic products rolled crimp
dangerous game slug blue dot powder load data

loose 12g slugs for reloading

reloading 20 gauge slugs using 45

reloading sabot slugs

sabot slug reloading data

slugs for reloading