1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Shotgun Slugs.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whosyourdaddy, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Does anyone know of a "how to" book on loading shotgun slugs? Quite a bit of load data out there, but I would like to understand a little more about it before I start buying components. Hoping to find something with info on 20ga. The slug guys on Shotgun World are a wealth of info, but I have way more questions than I wish to bother anyone with. Thanks.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

For about seven bucks you can join American Slug Shooters Assn. They have some good info.

I've been playing with these things for thirty or more years. Bought Brennekes in bulk, played with the old Lyman Foster slug, had the die to put rifling on it (didn't work well either way), have the Lee "key drive" mould and have shot a hundred or so of them, and now have both 12 and 20 gauge Lyman "sabot" moulds and am playing with them.

What I've learned so far, very general and succinct:

A. Uniformity is very important...crimp especially. I am now searching for some unskived shells in 12 and 20 so I can get a good firm roll crimp. The few I've had worked best

B. A good rifled barrel is important. I have a Hastings on an 870 and a H&R Ultra. Both seem to want to shoot the sabot Lymans well. My son's 500 Mossberg, ported, rifled, scoped, likes the Lyman 20s.

C. Foster slugs suck. I know some of you kill deer at unreal ranges with them and I applaud you. I just have not been able to get results...except with the Federal Truballs out of an 11-87 with smooth tube and scope (i.c. choke).

D. So far, best results with the Lyman Sabots have been with Universal Clays powder, WAA12 red wads in 12 ga, one ounce aa wads in 20 gauge, and using my Lead Sled with my hand holding the forearm down. Others may have better luck with letting the gun recoil freely.

E. Next experiments will be with slugs, crimping station, and wads sold to ASSA members. They have some impressive groups to show using them.

Groups with my loads run around 2 to 2 1/2 inches at fifty yards and around five at 100...from the Hastings, H&R, and Moss. One deer shot with the 12 Lyman dropped on the spot from a double lung hit, not too much meat damage and full penetration.

Use the data that comes with the mould to start, if you choose to make your own. Lymans book for shotshells has some data. It is a learning process.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Savage99Stan,those Foster slugs can be a hit or miss deal out of a lot of smooth bores! Over the years, I've found they shot the best groups with a modified choke. Out of cyl or imp/cyl they can sometimes shoot ok but not to my liking with any of my smooth bores.

I had an H&R fully rifled with a Redfield 2x7 widefield that shot the Federal sabots really good at longer ranges. Trouble was, it killed out of one end and crippled on the other!! I didn't keep that one too long either but it did shoot great groups.

Hap

4. Savage99Stan

I've shot Fosters out of every choke there is, out of rifled barrels, and out of an old taperbored Ithaca Deerslayer. The Ithaca did best but it still wasn't even close to what I get with Federal Truballs...the wad keeps the slug centered in the Feds. It is amazing how many people that still think the "rifling" on the slugs cause them to spin. Even Brenneke allows that they don't. They say that the fins are to allow them to pass through tighter chokes without damage.

Lee Keydrives are fosters with a web in the base but take a plastic wad to grab the rifling in the bore. Shoot pretty good but need a 20 ga wad under the slug to get a good crimp.

I find my H&R is heavy enough to soak up most of the objectionable recoil and to tell the truth, I didn't even feel anything when I shot my seven pointer this winter out of the Remington with Hastings paradox barrel.

As I said above, I'm going to try the slugs/wad combos that are available on the ASSA website and see how they do. After getting back from Fla. (while I'm down there golfing and eating seafood, I'm going to see about booking a hog hunt for later on.....either bow or handgun, but even slugs would be fun.)

5. GD1949

GD1949 TS Member

do you have a source for the brenneke slugs. I need the slugs only not loaded shells. We used to get them from ballistic products but they no longer carry them

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Take a look a dangerous game slugs, from ballistic products.com I have loaded them and like them and you can use a regular crimp instead of a roll crimp on them. They can be shot in smooth bore or a rifled barrel and they are very accurate. I used buck ball and slug web site for load data.

thanks
    lee

7. Savage99Stan

Got a couple of boxes of 25 each of the Brennekes from a local dealer 25 or more years ago. Have not wanted to try them again as they were quite disappointing from my Deerslayer.

Trying some loaded Bs from my Hastings (yeah, I know, they'll "ruin" my barrel, B...s...) I find they group pretty well. Maybe I'll have to try them again.

BalleBlondeaus worked quite well many years ago...don't know where to get them either.

Ain't much I haven't tried and am centering my efforts toward stuff I make myself...I'm really starting to love the Lyman sabot slugs.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

remember one thing they are NOT shot. you will not like the results if you try a large size slug in a full choke. check the size to make sure is going to fit as it gets to the choke
    As said the rifled slugs are made so they can be shot in any choke. the Lyman/ foster type may not fit the choke so you could have an instant blunderbust

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Stan---you have a PM. about unskived emptys.

10. GD1949

GD1949 TS Member

Would you have an interest in selling the brennekes savage99stan?

11. Savage99Stan

Brennekes are long gone. Sorry. I am reduced to buying loaded ones myself for the few I need to "play".

12. Beni

Beni Member

get the lyman shot book,start slow and deliberate. I use old style gold medal cases 525 gr cast slug[use pure lead when casting] herco powder waa114 wad win 209 primer. Keep my velocities around 1360. Try to match your load with components that are readily available. These 12 ga. loads work equally well out of our Benelli m1 super 90's, m2, Browning A5 mossburg 500 and 870. These guns all have rifled barrels and can hold groups of 2-5 in. at 100 yd. Weve been experimenting with 20 ga. slugs but have found it harder to stablize due to a thiner skirt on the slug. The 12 ga loads are similar to a lightfield load but cost about 9.00 a box less to load. good luck joel

13. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I think I am headed in the right direction now. Thanks again.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Beni, where did you find a fully rifled barrel for your Browning Auto-5? Thanks guy, Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dimension of lyman sabot 525 slug

lee key slug loading data

load data lyman foster slug
lyman 20 gauge slug loading data

lyman foster slug

lyman foster slug reloading data

lyman sabot slug load data

shotgun sabot slug reloading