1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading - shot drop measurements

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

My Dad has been reloading for me on a MEC 600 Jr. Lately I bought a MEC 9000G, older but never used, and it's at MEC for servicing. In the meantime, we've had some time to look at the shot drop for 1 1/8 and 1 oz. loads.

My Dad's old balance scale shows the loads to be short of the grain measures they should have. I actually counted one example load of 1 oz. #8's last night, and it was about 20 pellets short of the 407 count listed in the Lyman's handbook.

First, based on experience, how much should the shot drop vary? Second, is it worth it to buy some calibration weights to make sure the balance scale is fairly accurate? A pharmicist friend of mine is looking for her old kit, and I could use it to make up some 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 "tare weights."

I'm sure this is hashed to death somewhere, but my search turned up empty.

Danny

2. tj303

tj303 Member

The shot/powder bars in a MEC drop shot (and powder) by volume not weight. The actual weight dropped will depend on shot size and how much antimony is in the lead. You can install a 'multi-bar' adjustable bar that will let you fine tune both powder and shot drops. An accurate scale is a must if you want to get correct drops.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mec's bars have always dropped light shot. You need to grind away the metal sides of shot hole to they drop the correct weight for the shot you will always be useing. You can do the same for all three bars,7/8, l oz. and l&l/8 oz. You can keep the correct bushing for powder in each one and switch loads quickly and easily without ever having to check and resetup the adjustable one. The choice of with one you use is up to you and the loads you want or need. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I've read about the multi-bars, and the reviews seemed mixed at best. But they look like a good bet to me. If you get a good, accurate measurement of, say, 407 #8's in a one ounce load, then you could adjust until you get 407 dropped, on average at least. Unless the adjustments won't hold, that looks like as good a deal as filing $15 charge bars.

Anyone disagree?

Danny

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The universal bar works fine for me. Was a bit tough for me to get dropping good at first, I just started reloading. You must make sure to take up slack in adjuster and do not hunt up and down on the adjustment knob. You need to start low and adjust up. It has been fine since dialed in. Checking drops every 50 rnds I have not need to mess with it. I also check powder drop every time I refill bottle and 50 rnds. This also doesnt vary enough to warrent adjusting. Only a few times have I need to adjust drops.

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

For me the universal bar was worth every penny I paid for it...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.