1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading scale for powder and shot recommendation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is the scale i use at this link above. It works good and is very accurate. There is also a very nice one in Cabelas for about $70 that my friend uses as well.---Matt

2. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

This is the one I use; Cabela's XT1500. Always has been accurate for me.

Blueraven

[​IMG]

3. philk

philk Member

Been using a Dillon D terminater for two years now, works great.

4. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

Cabelas XT has been great for me.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Forget about the cheaper digital scales. They are fragile and don't seem to last very long. For a primary scale, I usually recommend a good balance/beam scale. RCBS has a 505 or similar model today that is a workhorse. A mechanical scale is usually a bit slower than the digital, but I have found them to be very reliable. I've had over a dozen digital scales over the last 15 years. I have only three that still work. The rest stopped working for one reason or another and were not worth repairing. I've had about ten mechanical scales over the last 45 years and they all still work.

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have a Lyman 1500 new in the box for $175 plus shipping. Send email if interested.

blade819

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have an ancient Lyman balance that weighs grain for grain with my RCBS as well as my acculab that I will ship to your door for 25 bucks. I think the pilgrims bought this model for weighing black powder charges, seriously though.. Cheap digital scales are not worth buying unless all you do is load shotgun shells.jeff

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'll second and thrid the "old" beam scale.. They last forever.. and will work as good as new 50 years after you buy one..

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Yep, balance beam is the way to go. And no weird batteries to replace just when you need to use the scale.

cap

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I received a scale like what Blueraven is showing as a christmas gift and it works well but you know what, I still go back to my old RCBS balance for verification. I got the RCBS scale in the early 70's and it has been around the country with me and never let me down. Really a balance for reloading doesn't need to be any better than that, plus no batteries, no cords.

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Electronic scales are quicker to use, but most people do not allow the unit to warm up for the recommended amount of time. Accuracty, linearity and hystresis are calibrated on a fully warmed up load cell. The numbers may not be the true weight, even though the later models have some internal temperatur compensation.

When electronic scales have to be certified for Drug companies, food companies, nuclear plants, chemical plants, etc., they test them against a beam balance scale at the standards lab, and they only test them after they are temperatur and humidity stablized. What can we conclude from that? This is not hearsay, I have been there in Federally certified standards lab and seen it in person.

12. RJ

RJ TS Member

I use a PACT electronic system with a balance beam to check a powder drop every now and then as I am loading. Purchased it from Cabalas Hasn't fugged me yet. Have been using it about three years now. The beam I have had about six years now. Have sent it in to LEE to have it checked and it has comeback with tripple A's on everything. Send it in every three years. Just got it back a couple weeks ago. This was the second time I have sent it in for a check. Didn't charge me very much except for the extra for shipping it back to me. For a total of twenty bucks. (Rich.inAZ.orinnameonly).

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I find myself always going back to my 5-0-5 scale with the magnetic stabilizer.
    I have a cheap jewelers type digi for quick checks.

14. notarget

notarget TS Member

I recommend a 5-0-5 or something similar. The only scale I have ever owned is Lyman Ohaus M5 purchased from either Herter's or Gander Mountain in 1965. It still works perfectly and I expect it to outlast me.

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have a RCBS 1010 for over 15 years and it works flawlessly.

16. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

I've had the same RCBS 505 Balance Beam since 1980 and its never failed me.
    Its as accurate as the cheap digitals and will last forever.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use a balance beam and a digital pact. The balance beam is the way to go. I prefer the older ones with a hydraulic reservoir, they are much more stable and therefore much faster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.