1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Safety Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Is there a safe proceedure for removing unfired primers from a case? What would happen if you tried to push out a live primer from the decapping station on a loader? I would rather hear about it than try it. Thanks, gyrine

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I do it all the time.I use a PW and everything is enclosed inside the die...so no problem IF it shouuld go off.

Never had one go off in 35+ years of reloading!

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

check your PMs.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've also been removing good primers from defective hulls by carefully pressing them out at station one on MEC loaders with never an incident. I put them right back in for use and have never had one fail either. One trick I learned the hard way was to empty the primer catch tray before pulling a live one just to make it easier to find.....breakemall......Bob Dodd

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The bottom of the punch is bigger than the primer flah hole. This could be intentional design. I am sure if there was a problem Mec would have known about it 20 years ago.

HM

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I'm with the rest on this....GOOD LUCK

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fred- I believe the reason some want to push out the live primer is so it can be used again.

Pat Ireland

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Just don't use a hammer and punch. Lol. I know someone that did this and had to go get his thumb stitched up, along with getting some metal removed from underneath his thumb nail.

All Good,

ec90t

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I put the undesired shell in an old single shot and shoot the shell. I have enough worries without blowing a little piece of me apart trying to save a primer.

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

As an ex-Safety Manager, I would not do it. Also, I would never do it on a metallic case either. Being close to any explosion may ruin your day in unthinkable ways; not worth the 2.5 cents for the primer. Sooner or later, risk will cost you. For example, look at the loan(s) risk and look what it has cost all of us. Darrell

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to get one to go off for 45 years. I guess it would depend on your loader, but the ignited primer is going to attempt to leave the empty hull, so whatever is below the depriming station will bear the brunt of whatever happens. Guess you might get a ricochet if you own an old MEC 250 with the resizing collar. Most of the ones I'ved deprimed weren't sticking in the hull very tightly at all. Good luck.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a couple of old style MEC Resizer/Deprimers that I use to take primers. Works great and haven't had an accident in 35 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.