1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading sabot slugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Can you reload 12ga. sabot slugs on a MEC Grabber ? Do you need any special fittings ?

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

You can load them on anything that loads any other 12 gauge hull...the big problems are in putting the sabot/slugs in the hull...most won't feed through the wad guide. I made a tapered plug which I run down the case mouth to slightly flare it, then slide in the sabot/slug (after powder, of course) and then crimp.

Second problem is that a fold crimp doesn't provide uniform enough pressure to get consistent accuracy. A uniform rolled crimp does much better, however, folded crimp shells don't roll crimp.

A fine fellow on this site sent me some unskived, unfired hulls for the price of postage and I am trying them out for better accuracy.

I make my own slugs using the Lyman 12 and 20 gauge "sabot" style moulds. Accuracy at 50 yards using folded crimps has been in the 2 1/2" range for three shot groups and I expect much improvement with the rolled crimped unskived shells.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Savage99Stan, what type of shotgun are you using your cast sabots in, fully rifled or rifled tube or smoothbores? Have you tried the rifled tube in the 20 ga., how was the accuracy if so? Thanks Stan!

Hap

4. Savage99Stan

Here's what I have tried so far:
    Remington 870, Hastings paradox barrel, Propoint sight...12 ga....2 1/2" at fifty is common.

H&R Ultra, 12 ga, 3-9X, same, or slightly better results.

11-87, smoothbore, rifled choke tube, scope, slightly worse (3")

Mossberg 500, cantilever, rifled/ported, scoped, 20 ga, about same.

I'm about to start casting some more slugs and loading them into the unskived hulls with a uniform roll crimp (I'll set the depth stop on the drill press) and see how they do.

I also have tried both hard and soft cast slugs...not much difference. I shoot all but the Ultra off a lead sled.

Fun to experiment with and cheap also.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks Stan! I was considering buying a Briley rifled tube for my B 303 20 ga for a deer hunt in Ohio next fall. I think I'll use the rifled slugs with a mod choke tube, I've had pretty good luck with the mod chokes in smoothbores over the years with slugs.

Hap

6. Savage99Stan

With all my work and effort so far, I've found that out of the 11-87, I get as good or better groups with the Federal Truball slugs.

My quest, if you can call it that, is to find a three quarter inch diameter (relatively) hunk of lead that won't do more than bore a big hole straight through and let lots of blood out and air in. I've ruined a lot of meat with the SST Hornady slug. There can be such a thing as too much expansion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge sabots for reloading

12 gauge slugs to reload

12guage sabot reloading

20gaslugreloads
lyman sabot slug data
paradox slugs reloading data

reloading sabot slugs

reloading shotgun sabot slugs