1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading ruger m77 mark II

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by edthearcher, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

O.K. you guys I have the above mentioned gun in a 270 cal. I also load many cal. with great sucess but this one blows my weak mind, with factory ammo I get fair results, but I have tronble with my reloads grouping, use 130 and 140 grain loads. so if you have a pet load for this weapon post or email me powder amount, type and your O.A.L. so I can try it thanks for any help ED.

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I also have a stainless steel, composite stock Ruger MII in .270 caliber. It doesn't shoot as accurate as my Savage .270, but I have had good success with H4831SC with 130gr. Nosler BT and Partition bullets. Federal 210 primer w/ 59 gr. of powder. Off the bench .68 inch 3 shot groups at 100yds. Deadly on Mule deer to 300 yds. Ben

3. myronman3

myronman3 TS Member

use imr 7828, and a 150 grain bullet. i use nosler ballistic tips. ensure you use a magnum primer with this combo. look up the charge weights in your manuel, i dont give that out.

another thing to do that affect accuracy big time is to set you seating depth so your bullet is just off the lands, but that may make your ammo usable in only that rifle; as each chamber is different.
    hth

4. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

thats 2 replys keep them coming thanks so far guys

5. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

myronman3 hey guy send me your email I have a few questions on your reload I have the same gun
    tried varget 46 grains oal 3.330
    varget 46 grains oal 3.300
    best results were imr 4831 55.8 gr oal3.280 at 50 yds
    imr 55.8 oal 3.30
    I check things very closely also use a electronic despenser
    any help would be appricated thanks ED

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For your 130 gr bullet, RL-22, IMR7828 and H450 work well. For the 140, IMR4831, H1000, RL-22, and H450 fill the bill. These are slow powders. When I shot a precision 300 mag, I had very good results with H1000 and RL-22.

Make sure you segregate your brass by headstamp and weight. If you are shooting under 300 yards, keep brass in one grain batches. If you are shooting over 300 yards, keep them within one-half grain.

I would suggest seating the bullet .015" off the lands, or to a length that is compatible with your magazine. Using Fed 215 primers might not be a bad idea. They also make this hot primer in a Match version.

I have an All Weather MKII in 308 that will shoot .5" at 100 yards with 168 SMK in military brass all day. My 30/06 of the same model will put 5 190 SMK in a ragged .4" hole at 100 yards. These new Rugers have very good barrels.

If you only get fair groups, go back to the basics. Make sure the front guard screw is TIGHT. The rear one is fairly tight, and the center screw is snugged, NOT tight. Then check scope mounting. After that, make sure the throat is not fouled. 270 factory ammo is loaded to the same chamber pressure as the 7m/m Rem Mag, 65,000 PSI. It will foul the throat in short order!

If you are using Barnes "X" bullets, be aware that some guns simply do not like them. I prefer the 140 gr Hornady BTSP for most everything I would ever do with the 270. The Nosler Ballistic Tip is another very accurate bullet.

If you are weighing powder charges, the long stick powders are fine. If you are using a powder measure, use H450.

7. dhg

dhg TS Member

Try some reloader 19 with 130 grain Nosler ballistic tips.My remington 700 in 270 really likes this powder.

8. easy100

easy100 TS Member

Here is my two cents I love reloading and 270 is one of my favorite cal to load for. Really think the best hunting bullits in hunting rifles are nosler ballistic tip. It may take a few powders to get the right load but you might try IMR 4831 or 4350. If you really are into getting your gun to shoot it't best first and up most get a good gunsmith to bed the action and tune trigger to 2 to 3 pound pull no creep. Then get some cases from nosler in the 270 at least 100 and wiegh each one to 1 tenth gr. Then resize the case to just bump the shoulder and make sure they fit in your gun nicely. Then uniform your primer pocket and primer flash hole. Then trim all your case to the right lenght and with all this you have probably done alot to get your gun to shoot to it's best. Then there is more get scope to power of at least 4x12 or higher in burris nikkon or something along this line. After all this clean your rifle to the point where there is no blue coming out on your patches. Then there is the AOL where you just get bullit to just touch the lands this very very critical in tuning your gun to shoot. If you don't know how to do some of this things e-mail me and I will help you out. This is very time consuming but what you put into it is what you will get out of it.

9. myronman3

myronman3 TS Member

i used lots of different powders, and i found that with the 150 grain noslers, IN MY RIFLE, liked imr7828 the best. i use cci primers exclusively, as another brand of magnum primer didnt ignite the powder very good, and velocity was 190 fps slower. tried cci magnums on a suggestion by dad, and an honest 2900 fps was obtained; with less felt reciol as well. so i use cci exclusively.
    a guy has to have a chronograph, you wouldnt believe what you learn with one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best cartridge oal for ruger m77

best handloads for ruger mk ii 270

good powder to reload a ruger m77 markii 30-06

handloads for ruger m77 270

reloading for the rugar m77 mark 2

ruger m77 270 130 or 140 grain bullets

ruger m77 bullet jump