1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reloading Rio shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T SHOT, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T SHOT

T SHOT TS Member

Wanting to know if anyone has loading data for Rio blue shotshells? We have tons of them at our club just going in the junk! They look like nice hulls to reload but i cant find any data on them.
  2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They have oversize primers. I believe you need Rio primers to reload them. HMB
  3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

They are junk. Don't know anyone who loads them. 1OT
  4. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Member

They are junk--Trouble ahead if you reload them!!!!!!!!
  5. Luvs2shoot

Luvs2shoot Active Member

Okay,

Rios are not a desirable hull to load. However, if you resize them first they run through a reloader easily. If you are loading on a press that does not place down pressure on the wad during the primer seating, you could have a wad that moves upward off of the bottom of the hull. I load on a PW, (no down pressure during primer seating) and from time to time I will catch one that doesn't crimp as deeply as it should. This is an indication the base wad has migrated upward. I simply cut it open and reclaim the shot, wad, powder and primer. It can be a pain in the a$$, however, I find this only on about 1 or 2 per 200. I use them for one reload for sporting clays and throw them away.

They are a straight wall hull and need the import style wads or 12S0 or 12S3 wads. Rio, Wolf or Nobel primers work, but are hard to seat. I have found that Fiocchi 616's work easily because they are not oversized, but because they don't have much taper, they will hold in the primer pocket without falling out even if you drop one or let it beat around in your pouch walking around on a clays course. Stay away from Ched, Win, Rem, CCI or Fed primers, as they will fall out.

Hope this helps you decide if you want to undertake this process.

John E.
  6. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

You might want to ask this question over on "shotgunworld.com" specifically to a member over there who uses the handle "Republican" AKA "Mokeman3". He has done considerable work finding the best ways to reload these RIO hulls as he is like you, he sees large numbers of these just going into the garbage and wants to find ways to use this resource.

Terry M.
  7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I tried to reload them and found it isn`t worth the trouble and since there are plenty other desirable hulls to chose from , let them make it to the land fill . Why change from what you find works fine ?? I reload STS`s and Gun Clubs .
  8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

As Said you will need a oversized primer for these hulls. You will also need to use the imported wad from claybuster or simular by downrange or duster if they have them??? You can get by with a federal wad or clone, but the imports are better. They will work fine if loaded once and tossed. You may also need a 6 point crimp (pre-crimp, and final) as well. Best if loaded on a Mec as well, as they will push the base wad back into place, even if it has moved upward a bit as it sets the new primer. Now with that said, I say why waste your time with steel based hulls. Load brass or nothing at all. We all know that steel based shells are hard on the gun,ejectors,reloaders!!! Why bother!!! Break-em all. Jeff
  9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have loaded 1000's of them. Use a NobelSport primer and a wad designed for this hull. Use Cheddite loading data. They load great provided you use the correct data. I use a Mec Automate so the steel base is not a problem.

Tom
  10. T SHOT

T SHOT TS Member

Thanks for the help. I reload on a MEC 9000 press. May look for some primers at the Grand,Rios look like a nice hull to load. Shame to throw them away! Any wad and powder idea would help!
  11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

I have loaded a boatload of these hulls. I use the Rio primer, 12SO and 12S3 clones, WAA12SL clones, Windjammers, Trapper wads, etc.

Bulky powders such as Red Dot, Solo 1000, Solo 1250 (discontinued, to my sorrow), Green Dot, Unique, etc, work well. I load 24 gram loads to 1350, 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads to 1250. Speed Boils Birds!
  12. Luvs2shoot

Luvs2shoot Active Member

I like 21.5 grains of American Select. Has anyone tried the Fiocchi primers in these hulls, and had any problems with them falling out?

John
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.