1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Rio Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

All hulls will reload. But the hulls withe the least "issues" are Rem STS in green and gold. Green Bay Packer colors.

If you load Rios, choose the brass base. Steel is hard on your loader, your gun and your mind. ON the other hand if cheap hulls run easily thru your system then by all means, load the cheapies and pitch out the back.

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

I load RIO's with a RIO primer, 20.5grs. Green Dot, Claybuster 12S3 wad and 1 1/8th.oz....very nice load.

Wayne

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

MIA Ireload rio hulls with fed wads.be sure to check base wads by looking down fired hull and see if primer is below level of base wad.it is better to load on mec because of down pressure when seating primer.also check barrell after each shot which is or should be standard anyway.I resize on supersizer before reloading and they work fine. remember if primer top is below top of base wad throw away.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I loaded a hundred just to try out of curiosity just because they are being thrown away in fairly large quanities. I used Cheddite primers and DR XXL orange wads and a 1 ounce of shot. They look fine, and shoot fine.

In my opinion if you can obtain the Rem gun club, Rem black hulls with the low steel base, or Rem STS or Nitro hulls, that is a better way to go.

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I tried them, when they went up into the powder measure on my Dillon, the steel base came back down but the hull stayed up in the powder measure. I felt that is they separated that easily I didn't want to chance them in my gun.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I never found a Rio hull with a real brass base; brass plated, yes.

MK

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have loaded 75+k of these type hulls. Use Cheddite data. Make sure you use a larger sized primer like a NobleSport otherwise you will have problems. I load on a MEC so have never experienced the base wad separation mentioned here.

Tom

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded drums of these, both plastic and paper. If you don't want them, ship them to me and I will give them a shot. LOL

Use Rio primers, wads made for straight-walled hulls, and bulky flake powders. I use Solo 1000 and Solo 1250 exclusively. No rocket science here.

I have a Solo 1250 Caps load that is out of this world, and is easy on the shoulder. I use Solo 1000 one ounce or seven-eighths for everything else.

9. fitchhall

fitchhall TS Member

I tried reloading Rio hulls that were mixed-in with some of my Remington and AA hulls. I had no probelm with the wads or the crimp, but for roughly 1 out of 5 Rio hulls, I noticed that the primers (Winchester 209) would simply fall out. One of the guys at the club mentioned that the W209s are too small and that I would have needed to use another brand of primer. Not willing to do that, I now just toss the Rios aside.

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I reloaded some (100 or so) using CCI primers. I shot some through my 90T and had no problems. I shot a round with my 11-87 and had the primers come out of some. I haven't loaded any after that.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
reloading data for rio hulls

reloading rio hulls

reloading rio shotshells
rio hull load data
rio hull reloading data
rio hulls for reloading
rio reloading data
rio shotshell reloading data