1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Rio hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by farmerjeff, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerjeff

farmerjeff TS Member

It's been a long winter and all my AA hulls are reloaded and I keep looking at the pile of empty Rios I have but I keep hearing stories of the base wad coming loose and lodging in the barrel. Is this some urban myth or is there some truth to this ???

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rios are made by the world's largest shotshell maker. The hulls are good. The club I shoot at the most sells about a pallet monthly, and has for 3 years. Never a problem.

Just use Rio primers and Cheddite data. They are good for 4 or more loads, but since I get target boxes at the club, I load them once and toss them.

I had just as soon load these as any. Wads for Riefenhauser type hulls work.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jeff, Yes the Rio's are made with the seperate wad base just like the Win. AA's are. I will not go into a long debate over these hulls. If you use a reloader that seats the primer in the hull with a tube from the inside of the hull like all Mec reloaders do!!! I do not see any problem coming from reloading these hulls if you follow the proper data for loading. Shooting Coach is right on with Rio,noble sport or other Euro primers and Cheddite loading data. All is good. Load away if you have 6 point crimps. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

4. farmerjeff

farmerjeff TS Member

Thanks for the input!! I will reload some and see how it goes.Thanks again,Jeff

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I load the Rio's only use Rio primers, wads that I use are the Windjammer and Downrange Versalit DRV-12 wads, I use Promo Powder 18-19 Grains.1 1/8th oz.

These same components will load a beautiful buddy line back up shell with
    1 1/4 oz #6s with 26 grains 800-X this is my all time favorite line back-up load, it is pretty smooth on recoil, and a mid range shoot off shell it is about a 3 1/4 1 1/4 1220 fps load.
    for long range use 29 Grains 800-X 3 3/4 1330 Fps load

This wad is softer shooting than the Federal 12S4

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Why are you going to take the chance of reloading a 2 piece hull?To save $20/thousand of hulls and the risk of injury to yourself and others?
    Don't get it!

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have reloaded them,and have had the base wad come loose. With so many fed. top gun and estates around, its just no worth the concern. Bruce

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I load them and have had no base wad problem. I do check the bore after every shot. With Claybuster, Federal or Downrange wads they make a very nice reload......Roger

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

1BruceM: are you reloading on a PW? Or other loader that does not load and seat primer like a MEC? I reload RIO'S quite a few times, and no problems.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
29grains of 800x

load data for rio hulls

rio hull reloading data

rio shell reloading data