1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Remington Hulls for Handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by straightshooter1, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I would like to reload Remington STS or Nitro 27 hulls to 1250fps using Winchester 209s and Green Dot powder with Figure 8 wads.

There are no recipes on Alliant's site for this and I have checked several older reloading manuals with no success. They have one with RXP wads, but one doesn't see them much anymore.

With STS primers, the load for 1250 is 21.5 gr. of Green Dot. I have "heard" several times that the correct load with Winchester primers is 21 gr. since the Winchesters are just a bit hotter than STS.

With Winchester AA hulls, Winchester 209s and Figure 8 wads, the load on the site is 22 grains of Green Dot.

I know I should call Alliant, but this is Sunday and TS.com has lots of folks who have reloaded for years.

Anyone know (1) if this is a good load-1250 and safe and (2) is this load in any manual you are aware of?

I should say that I am "stuck" with an 8lb jug of Green Dot which I got by mistake. I normally use PB, but I am trying to use the GD up.

Bob

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Tell you what if you are "stuck" with the Green Dot, I would gladly take it off your hands. As it is a excellent Caps powder with more pellets in the pattern than say "tight group" and is also known for a hair denser core than most powders. To answer your question use either 21 or 21.5 grins and you will be at the velocity you are wanting, I have shot both. Remember if you are shooting a 34" barrel you may gain 20 f.p.s. or more on the load. Right now I am shooting 20 grains (3 dram load) and it seems to crush back fence birds really well, with a hair less fatigue as to a 3 1/4 dram caps load, YMMV. Scott

3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I find that it doesn't meter as well as other powders. I used to shoot it a lot when I shot steel reloads at the Skyway, but I let my membership expire and don't have any plans to shoot steel again.

If you were close, we could probably make an arrangement that would tickle you, but....

Thanks, Scott, I'll start with the 21 grains. I don't have access to a chronograph but I have a friend who shoots 21 grains (he has no idea where he heard that load was okay).

Bob

4. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I am of the opinion that Green Dot powder is much more versatile if you choose a hotter primer such as the CCI 209M, or the Fed 209A which I believe it was meant for. Works well for me in faster loads from 7/8ths to 1 1/8th above 1250fps.

5. Bullet Thrower

Bullet Thrower Member

SS1 Don't consider yourself stuck with Green Dot .. that's Top Shelf in my book.. Call Alliant tomorrow to get some expert advice.

That load your suggesting with GD is definitely in the ballpark, and will not beat you up like some other 1250+ loads.

6. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

For my handicap load I use 19.1 grains of green dot, rem nitro hull, 11/8 clay buster figure 8 (3118) wad with a cheddite or American target primer with 1oz of #8's. My handicap is 251/2.
    I load according to the book but I use cheddite or American target primers as a Winchester subsustute. I also pattern and chronograph my loads. I aim for 1200 fps area with my 7/8 and 1 oz loads. I can't say enough about using a chronograph because the book is always on the light side I have found.
    For my meat shoot loads I use the same combo but I push 1/18 of 7.5 shot with 21 grains go green dot.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best hulls & wads to reload handicap trap

reloading sts hulls with green dot

sts rementon trap reloads