1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Remington Gun Clubs ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rickm181, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickm181

rickm181 TS Member

Does anyone know what kind of powder Remington uses in make their Gun Club shells.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My guess, the cheapest they find in bulk. Clays, claydot, red dot, promo. all work good.

3. MX3BT99

MX3BT99 TS Member

I use 18 grains of Clays, either fig. 8 or WAA12 wad, win. 209 and Lawrence Mag shot. Just smokes the target and is plenty fast.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

17.0-17.7 gr of Promo (Promo varies from lot to lot but I can get to within .5 grain by switching out bushings) with the Green Duster wad holding 8's and Fiocchi 209's. Nice soft load. It works in the winter too - no bloopers.

You can push that up to 19.0 gr (if I recall) to get more punch.

I have not loaded a lot of GC's - maybe 2500 - but they crimp nicely. My machine needs to be adjusted differently from the settings I use for AA's to load them right. Not a big deal - just a PITA. They load the same as STS's.

Don

5. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I interchanged the identical 1 1/8 reloading load with STS: 17.5 gr Clays, Fig 8s wad for both. Crimps great with either hull. Both 1 piece hull. Treat both the same.

I have no idea what Remington, or who ever does Remington's loading, uses for Gun Club powder. I do not think anyone on TS.com knows either.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

This is a reply from Paul Ferrier of Alliant to a question posed regarding STS shells. Whether or not it also pertains to Gun Clubs was not determined:

<blockquote>"My name is Paul Furrier and I am the Technical Manager at Alliant Powder in Radford, Virginia. I am also in charge of sales and marketing of our smokeless powders to the OEM ammunition manufacturers, so Remington is my account. I saw your post on TS.dom and thought I would send you a message, since I know exactly what Remington uses in their target loads. The powder Remington uses in their 12ga STS 1-1/8oz 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads is a proprietary powder we produce for them, and it contains green ID flakes. (In some lighting the flakes may look blue, but they are green). It is certainly not Green Dot(R). In terms of burn speed, the STS powder is virtually the same as Red Dot(R) and e3(R), but it is not either one. Energy wise, it is about halfway between the two, hence the charge weights slightly higher than e3, but lower than Red Dot.

You can duplicate the performance of the STS shells with handloads quite nicely with our American made powders e3 and Red Dot. For e3, 16.5gr makes the light load (2-3/4DE), and just shy of 17.5 duplicates the light handicap (3DE) beautifully. The Red Dot loads are: 18.0gr and 19.0gr for the 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads respectively. You can verify the load data I have shown in our interactive reloaders guide, at www.alliantpowder.com Good luck with your loads John. We would very much appreciate it if you use our powder. Please call us anytime at 800/276-9337 if you have any questions."</blockquote>

Morgan

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to say. The folks at Alliant are determined to give the best service of any powder maker.

Since I load UEE and Cheddite hulls, I consider Gun Clubs to be premium hulls.

I generally give STS and AA hulls to reloaders at my club.

I load once and toss. That way, I am always putting good components into good hulls. Besides,I do not have room to segregate multi fired hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington gun club for reloading

what powder does remington gun club shotsshells use