1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Rem. STS 12 Ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2barrelpa, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

I am looking to reload Premier STS 12 ga.
    1 oz #8 1185fps factory load.
    I want to know what would be closest to the factory load as far as pattern goes. I have been told that wads & primer can make a big differance.

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I've been using 19.5 grns International Clays, Remington STS primer,

1 oz #8 magnum shot, And the 1 oz Spolar Wad.

I think this combination meets or exceeds factory loads.

Seems like the Spolar really makes a difference.

Mike Cunningham

Groveland, CA

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I use 19 gr. Green dot & factory wads & win 209 primer. I change the shot bushing and wad for 1 & 1 1/8 loads. I found a long time ago I got better results with the factory wad designed for the case.

4. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

How much difference is there between The STS and Gun Club hulls?

5. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

2barrelpa Call Hogdon powder and get one of there books, I use Titegroup for everything it is a great powder with very very low recoil and I use REM hull REM primer, Rem Tgt-12 wad and 16.3 grains of Titegroup. 11/8 oz and gives me 1145 fps give or take of course. You don't have to change the bushing for 1 oz loads either it is only .2 tenth of a grains difference and if you get the manual or go on line and look it up you can check it out. The only thing I change is I use Downrange wads DRRT-12 REM replacement for 16yds. Pat

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I find the STS's to be great for reloading much like the old style AA's. You know there is a miilion and a half way to reload them but, I find the Remington factory wads to work good for me. I know they cost more on average but the TGT 12, Fig.8's and the RXP's reload and perform well.

7. t901

t901 Member

I use the same as MX2005 they work great

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have been using published loads for 1 oz using the downrange XL-1 wad and claydot or clays with winchester 209 primers for about 1200 fps. These particular reloads loads really grind clays targets for me.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Sts hull.,17.5 claydot,win 209 # 8 or # 81/2, DR TGT!@---no difference, in performance from the factory--I shoot 1 oz STS # 81/2 in my guns at big shoots.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Joen

Joen Member

I just started reloading this fall have a Spolar loader and the differents I see from the Gun Club to the STS is that the Gun Club bases are bigger than the STS bases, they come out of the reloader bushing a lot harder, so I bought a MEC resizer and resixe the Gun Clubs that helped a lot

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

Hi Joen,

I don't know if the gun club bases are bigger or not, but they are steel, where the sts are brass, and I know I can tell on my grabbers and sizemasters that the steel bases take more ooomph to resize than the brass bases.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My fav is 17.5 g CLAYS, DRTGT12 wad, 1 Oz West Coast #8, a STS primer in the STS, N27 or Gun Club hulls. This may not be a STS clone but it is a great 16yd & doubles load. Soft shooter that just smokes those birds!

13. TREE

TREE TS Member

Please dont reload these send them to me

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

SPANKY has got it right,no doubt about it !!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy

15. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

I might not be reloading anytime soon. In Chicagoland lead has pushed up $50 per 25lbs(at one place). But that is getting to rich for my blood

16. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have great luck with this and uses less expensive components,Remington hull 16.5 grains promo,cheddite primer and DR XL1 lime green wad and 1oz of reclaimed shot.Jerry

17. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

Thanks Jerry, I am working on locating some reclaimed and some cheeper components.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

700X at 17.0 to 17.5 grains with claybuster wads. I'm getting 1150 to 1200 FPS. CCI primers

19. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Rem. Gun Club
    16grs-700X
    1 oz. Windjammer or clone
    #8's
    any primer but CCI works well.

Very low pressure, no recoil, use them in skeet and 16's and they smoke targets.
    Also use them for first shot in doubles with same results and they will smoke a second target on a calm day as well.

They reload 6-8 times before I throw them away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.