1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING REFERENCE MATERIAL

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I plan to try reloading for the first time over the winter months. Since the Grand I have all of these nice premium once fired hulls and I thought it a good time to give it a whirl.

My neighbor is going to let me use his reloader and show me the ropes. The little I do know is that there's a seeming endless variety of opinions on the topic. While my neighbor is very experienced with firearms, and I trust his expertise, he likely has some biases that may not suit my needs.

Usually when I undertake a new interest I like to read-up first before jumping in. What books and reference material are considered required reading for shotgun ammunition reloaders?

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Lyman Shotshell Reloading 5th ed.

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Guy,

I'll start. Begin with a single stage loader. That way you can truly learn as you go. You can examine what happens at each stage of the reloading process for yourself, at your own pace. Later you can upgrade as you decide for yourself which way you want to go.

Alliant Powders produces a reloader's guide each year. They're free and probably as good as any, especially to get you started. Read it. ALWAYS use published loading data. DO NOT experiment on your own. Buy and use a set of scales, which do not have to be costly.

Cleanliness at the reloading bench is seldom mentioned, but I believe being neat & organized will help you. Use the KISS principle. Observe others as they are reloading just to pick up the basics. Ask questions but remember, not everything you will hear will be gospel.

Shoot and pattern a few to see your results before settling on a pet load. Many suggestions on recommended loads will follow on this thread.

Reloading becomes another hobby all in itself and I think many of us find it enjoyable, not to mention more economically sound than exclusively buying news shells.

Good luck,
    Jon Reitz

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

guy, as others mentioned the Lyman series of manual are good as are the Reloading for Shotgunners series. In both the first two editions alot of the material is irrelevant but still interesting advice and recommendations. Go to Mayville Engenineering website for alittle info.

Now if your going to want to continue to associate with me then plan on using Alliant powders and west coast shot :)

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So Martin, that means I can't use down-south coonass shot and continue our association??? At least Alliant is outta Virginny.

Eliminate distractions--got it. That's Man code for honey leave me alone else I could blow up the whole damn house. Genius!

Sincerely, thanks for the advice all.. publications on order.

Guy B.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Every powder that I have ever used has free data online. Just google it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.