1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Reclaimed Shot Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by claybustin hoosier 52, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

Need some help from you shooters out there that have used reclaimed shot. I know that reclaimed is not going to preform like new shot. The problem I'm having is it being inconsistant shot to shot. I have even sifted it to get pellets larger than 7's out of it. Also use magnet to be sure there is no steel shot in it. I have been using the same resipe as my 1 1/8 new shot load which is 17 grains of red dot Claybuster figure 8 wad Rem. 209 primer and STS Hull. I'm getting some hits that are good, some chippy hits and some clean misses on some targets I strongly felt I should have hit when I do my part. I have also shot some of my regular loads when shooting reclaimed and can tell a big difference. I'm thinking about trying some slower burning poweder thinking that maybe it will help with lower pressures to cut down on flyers and will enhance pattering. Have tried tighter chokes than I use with new shot making very little difference. Have not been to patterning board yet. Have any of you had to make adjustments when using reclaimed shot. I probably should mention this shot is real clean so dirty shot is not a possible cause here. Want to use this shot for practice to strech out my supply of new shot.

John

2. kallen

kallen TS Member

John, I have had a similar experience with reclaimed shot. However it may be a mental thing so the next time out may be more positive. I'm using 16.8 grains of titewad and 1-1/16 shot. The good thing is I only have 2 bags of the stuff, if it doesn't work out---. Shot size looks like 8-9 and a lot of flat ones but what else for $20. and worth a try. Good luck

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- Spend an afternoon shooting patterns, Shoot 10 patterns and study them with care. I did that and learned much about reclaimed shot. You must also remember that every batch of reclaimed shot may be different.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use it for skeet and the first shot in doubles. HMB

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

John, I have three friends who shoot there own reclaimed shot. Two of them simply clean and separate it. The third one cleans, separates and then tumbles his shot with a small amount of graphite. The graphited shells seem to consistently perform better. A pattern board would of course be the definitive answer.

Robert

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

John;
    When I actually weighed the amount of reclaimed shot my MEC was dropping I found it even lighter than usual (Mec bushing usually load light in my experience. I had been using 1 ounce for the 16's; I had to go to 1 1/8 to get the same effect. Also I found it necessary to tighten up the choke from IM to full to get the pattern I wanted.

I'm using it for practice and first shot of singles until (if) shot prices return to some sane level.
    John S.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"I'm getting some hits that are good, some chippy hits and some clean misses on some targets I strongly felt I should have hit when I do my part."

This sounds like my shooting and I only shoot factory STS ammo........... :)

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John...... I am shooting reclaimed shot for singles and for the first shot in doubles and I am not having any problems with it at all. I have shot several 100's in singles with it so I have no doublt it's doing its job. I don't use it for the Handicap, nor for the second shot in doubles as I shoot 11/8oz. of 71/2's for those. I have to believe it's mostly in your mind. If you have any doubt, reload a bunch of shells with new shot and have a friend hand you shells while you are on the line shooting 16's. Don't let him tell you if the shell is new shot or reclaimed. After you are done, compare the hits with reclaimed against the new shot. I'm willing to bet you won't be able to tell the differece in either shell from the 16....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

reclaimed shot will thow lite in a MEC bar and im sure in others. An above poster refers to changing bushings for heavier charges. I have never seen a MEC bar with SHOT bushings. Wish they made such. My 1 1/8 bar throws a littler more than an ounce with reclaimed. Just as it does with 6's and bigger. Reclaimed shot may be best loaded with an adjustable bar, but the next batch you load may be different. As for breaking targets I cant tell a lot of difference. May be best for skeet, and closer shots. At 58 cents A pound i can put up with it except for handicap. Fred

10. qshot

qshot TS Member

I use a 1 oz. mec bar for loading my shells when i want to really do good this consistently weights about .389 per laod which is just .3 over 7/8 oz. And I use 17.5 grs. promo instead of 16.9 which is recomended for 7/8 oz. on light loads. This is what my #30 mec powder bushing throws. But I would certainly weight that before using. I also use fiocchi primers in rem. hulls and cb1100 12 ga. wads. And the ghuy that said to mix them up when practicing with new shot is on the right track also. A lot of it is confidence. Charlie

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Blind Test, let someone else load your gun for you.

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Several of the guys at our club have tried it. It needs to be seperated by a screen to work best. We have eveything from 9' to 4's in our reclaimed and "supposedely" that will make for poor paterns. The theory being that the large shot "beats" the small shot and results in lots of "fliers".I have 25lbs left and will screen it or only use it for 16-20 yd shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.