1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading recipes for estate hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Beretta Man, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Man

Beretta Man TS Member

Would appreciate some reloading info using estate hulls in
    11/8 loads.

Will use this bullet for 16 yardline only.

thanks

beretta man

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here's one that has worked well. Federal or Estate hull with paper base wad, Federal 12S3 or clone wad, 19 grains of Red Dot or Promo powder, Federal 209A primer, 1 1/8 ounce of your favorite lead shot. Gives around 1200 fps and is a suprisingly soft load.

Substitute the 12S0 or clone wad and 1 ounce of shot and you'll get a good one ounce load. You can drop the powder back to 18.5 grains or so and it should be a touch over 1200 fps.

There are many other loads in the loading tables. Alliant Powder and Hodgdon liist many suitable loads. Double check your data before using any "pet" loads. I've had good results with similar loads using Green Dot as well.

The new "12S3" clone from Downrange Manufacturing is a great wad. I've tested a few that Kevin sent recently and the patterns were as good as any. I have found that using a wad that is intended for a straight tube hull works the best in these hulls. Many people will advise you to use wads used for tapered hulls. It can work, but I've had better results with a more appropriate wad.

3. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

700X or Hodgdon Intl. Clays with a Downrange Versalite wad, any primer, your shot of choice

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Quackshot's suggested Red Dot loads sound like winners!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

An OEM version of Red Dot is used by the factory to load Estate shells. It is a hull made by Federal and has a paper base as Ajax mentioned, but I do not know if all Federal hulls are created equal. It is a straight walled hull so I would suggest not using a tapered wad.

I do not reload any of the discount hulls. I only reload AA hulls. Many disagree with both of my decisions.

Pat Ireland

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I reload the Estate & Top Gun hulls with excellent results.

As they are Federal products, I use only Federal (or clones) wads and primers.

1 oz. recipe: 17 grs. of 700X, 12S0 wad, 209A primer.

1-1/8 oz. recipe: 18 grs. of 700X, 12S3 wad, 209A primer.

1-1/8 oz. Handicap recipe: 19.5 grs. of 700X, 12S3 wad, 209A primer.

The IMR website will provide all their data in regards to speed, pressures, etc.

Curt - Delaware

7. Beretta Man

Beretta Man TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.