1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bewmetal, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewmetal

bewmetal Member

Has any one use this reloading recipe

19 grain red dot
    winchester AA or STS hulls
    winchester WAA12SL
    winchester 209 primer

does it work?

What is the FPS?

thanks

Brett

2. Trap4

Trap4 Member

bewmetal, I assume you are loading 1 ounce if so with a win hull it would be 1,255 fps. --alliant reloading book doesn't list it in a remington hull with a win primer but with a Remington primer it says 1,255. with 19.5 grains.

Trap-4

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

1250 fps, 10500 psi. No, I don't use 1 ounce loads that fast. Click the link for more Red Dot recipes. Wayne

4. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Take the Red Dot charge down to 17gr. and you won't have to visit your Chiropractor as often. My 2 cents..... Great load

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used a similar load, except my powder charge was around 17.5 grains. It was close to 1200 fps and worked well enough for me. They functioned my 1100 without any trouble. I would not recommend loads developing much over 10,000 PSI for frequent use in a 12 ga. The load you listed does develop over 10,00 PSI, according to the data at Alliantpowder.com. The small gain in initial velocity really does not make that much of a difference at trap shooting distances.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

bewmetal..save your shoulder and neck, and use less powder. I like this load:
    1 oz of shot, 17.0 grains of Clay Dot, Win 209 primer, Win AA hull, ClayBuster 4100 Wad, and it is fun to shoot. I think it is about 1185 to 1200 fps. Good luck.

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Brett

You are probably going to receive many different responses to your question. I will add one myself.

If the load is listed in a loading manual somewhere, it is most likely safe to load. However, the problem most people that reload have is they don't understand or take the time to understand the complex issues involved in loading the new style AA two piece hull. The STS hull is a completely separate animal.

The load you listed (doesn't matter if it is red dot or another) contains a volume of powder that should never be used and expect consistency in the new style 2-piece AA hull. 19 grains of red dot, or any powder close to the same volume in that hull, fills it up to the edge of the insert. At that point you now have a reload waiting for a wad for which there is none made.

The new AA hull is no longer a tapered hull...it is now a straight wall hull with a tapered base. If your powder capacity fills the hull up to the edge or very slightly over the edge, you are now confronted with the problem of finding a wad that will properly do what wads are intended to do.

A tapered wad such as winchester and others will not properly fit in the tapered section of the hull because the powder is in the way, and a straight wall hull will not properly seal the powder because it can not fit down in the sleeve itself.

The best solution for new style AA hulls is to either use a very low volume power like tightgroup so a tapered wad can go far enough down inside the sleeve to seal the powder, or a very high volume powder like rex2 so you can use a straight wall wad to seal the upper portions of the hull.

Your 19 grains of red dot will work and go bang, but the consistency of the load you mentioned will suffer consistency and fluctuate more than most during different temperatures.

Mark Rounds

8. K.B.

K.B. Member

that load shows to be 1300 fps in the aliant book KB

9. bewmetal

bewmetal Member

Thanks Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aa hull 1200fps reload
best trap shooting reloading recipe