1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Recipe Question ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Just curious if anybody has ever reloaded with a Fiocchi hull using Win. 209 primers, Clays or Clay dot powder, and 12S3 wads for a 1-1/8 oz. load.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I've loaded many a different color of Fio hull and using Federal wads, but never that exact combination.

Hodgdon has enough 'damn close' Fio/Federal/Clays loads, differing on the the primer. Win209 primers are 'medium-strength' and other medium-strength primers will work safely, too.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Clays for HCAP loads, as it tends to get pressury fast, but I'd use the Fio. 617 data, myself.

Drop about 19½gn and you be well within pressure tolerances and pretty close to 1200fps.

Bob

3. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Was just going to load some 16 yd trap with about 17 gn did not want to waste all of the 12S3 wads and fiocchi hulls I had aquired. I couldn't find any data for the recipe so I just thought I would ask fellow reloaders.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Call Hodgdon.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Pull-it, you'll be waaayyyyy fine.

When I read 1-1/8oz, I hear "Back Fence" ... which is MY problem.

17gn will be a real mild, lethal load, and completely safe.

Fill and empty in the usual fashion.

Bob

6. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 WAA12 16.3 6,800 LUP 1090
    Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Ched. 209 WAA12 16.7 7,700 PSI 1090
    Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Fio. 617 Fed. 12S3 17.8 5,800 PSI 1090
    Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Fed. 209A Fed. 12S3 16.5 9,100 PSI 1090

Looking at the above data off of the Hodgdon chart does anyone see anything wrong with the following load: Fiocchi hull using Win. 209 primers, Clays powder, and 12S3 wads for a 1-1/8 oz. load? I called Hodgdon not much help other than reading me a chart that I already have that doesn't tell me what I want to know #*!$#

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yeah ... that's basically what I said in my 1st post:

<i>Hodgdon has enough 'damn close' Fio/Federal/Clays loads, differing on the the primer. Win209 primers are 'medium-strength' and other medium-strength primers will work safely, too. </i>

Fio. 617 Fed. 12S3 17.8 5,800 PSI 1090

Fio. 617 Fed. 12S3 19.1 8,500 PSI 1145

Fio. 617 Fed. 12S3 20.3 10,700 PSI 1200

And the Cheddite-2000 data for S3 wads is similar.

This actually tells you what you want to know.

Pick one and use your Winchester primers as a substitute for the F617 or CX-2000.

What else/additional may be wrong, now?

Bob

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen 18.2 grains of Clays with the Win 209 primer, 12S3 wad, Fiocchi hull, 1 1/8 oz shot. Velocity was around 1140 - 1150 at about 80 degrees. Shot was "volume" measured and was "magnum" shot. Might have been a touch lighter than 1 1/8 oz total. It seemed to be a nice light load. It was used to break 49/50 16s with authority. I didn't load them, but ran the chronograph. I have no way of knowing what the pressure was, but looking at the data provided by Hodgdon, there seems to be enough headroom for a substantial increase in pressure over the Fiocchi 617 primer loads listed.

9. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Thanks for the info. I think I will load a few!

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just be careful to double check your load against published data. I have no way of knowing exactly what was loaded in the shells we chronographed. I only have the shooters word on what they were. I can tell you what the velocity was, as measured by the chronograph, and that the recovered wads looked like the Federal 12S3 or a very good copy. Personally, I'd start around 17.5 grains in the load mentioned and run some over a chronograph. A call to Hodgdon may or may not result in some advice from that direction.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Any Federal recipe will work.

I did run into some base wad height variations, and had to sort a bunch of hulls to avoid a problem.

They shot fine, all gone now.

HM

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pull-it! and all:

There's an interesting article titled 'Primer Swapping' in the Sept./Oct. issue of TrapshootingUSA by author Tom Ceretto.

According to the article, indiscriminate swapping of primers is either a swell idea or "the most egregious swap you can make".

The article includes test results. Some tests were conducted by Hodgdon. Others came from Alliant. Some folks insist mild, medium, or hot primers are mild, medium or hot in any old application. The article however, provides specific examples showing no such conclusion can be made.

The article also addresses the question of whether the ballistic characteristics of various primers remain the same from one year to another. Per the article, we CAN'T count on that either. Indeed, quoting from the article, "Dick Quesenberry at Alliant does a primer comparison test every year using various Alliant powders." Ceretto later explains, "One of the reasons Quesenberry makes these primer checks every year is that some primer manufacturers make changes and do not always inform powder companies(especially imports) or reloaders of the changes".

The bottom line? Feel free to load any horsesh!t combination of components you happen to sweep off your loading room floor. However, this article is just one more example in a big stack of examples that suggest we would all be well served to either stick with tested data or to get the blessing of RELIABLE INDUSTRY SOURCES before we deviate.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.