1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading recipe help. PLEASE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mo lost birds, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo lost birds

Mo lost birds TS Member

I am currently loading a Federal Gold Medal Extra-Lite clone. It is a once and an eighth at 1090 fps. I am using International Clays Winchester 209 primer and a Downrange 12S3 replacement wad loaded in a Gold Medal hull.
    I would like to find a 1090 fps one once load using the same components if possible, as I just bought a new 8 lb keg of powder, but I have been unable to find a load in the books. It is my thinking I could save money on lead, and reduce felt recoil.
    Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I don't think you are going to find one Mo. Int'l is really too slow a powder for a 1oz. 1090fps load. Pressures will be very low. Call Hodgdon and ask what they think. You can't hurt anything by trying, but I think you will also have fit problems and have to go to the 12S0 wad instead.

3. Mo lost birds

Mo lost birds TS Member

ohh, I am quite sure I will have to change wads to fill the void of the missing shot, my most concern if using my powder and primers if possible. if not i will wait till my powder if gone and order a new kind. i just really like how clean INT clays burns

4. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

International Clays is the wrong powder for an ultra light (slow) 1oz. load. International is much better suited to 12ga. HDCP loads. You need something much faster like Red Dot, Titewad or E3. I would say Clays would even be a little slow. If you need clean, go with E3, every bit as clean as International.

I would also look at a 1oz. wad like the Claybuster CB2100-12, their clone of the Federal 12S0. I'm not sure Downrange makes a 1oz. Federal clone. Wads are made for a given shot charge. Sure, you can go up and down and it'll break targets, but it's not the best tool for the job.

Both of these reasons are why you are not finding recipes.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you can live with 1150fps ±, 20gn and either a 12S0, TGT-12 or AA-SL clone will be sweet, smooth, soft and ... lethal.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Winchester Feather Lite powder will do this.

Check it out on Hodgdon's website.

With Federal Gold Medal plastioc hulls.

Lead Shot 1 oz.

WAALite - 15.7 grains

Winchester 209 primer

Federal 12SO wad

Pressure - 6,000 PSI

Nominal - 1070 fps muzzle velocity

Despite the low pressure, this load should work fine. I used this powder with some 7/8 ounce loads at about 1050 fps, and it worked fine.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with the group that suggests International Clays is the wrong powder, maybe even for your 1 1/8 oz recipe. You can reduce payload or velocity or burning rate of powder to tame loads but when you do 2 or all three of those, your chronograph will convince you that your shells are grossly inconsistent.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've tried International Clays in very light 1 1/8 oz loads and found it marginal at best. Ultra light 1oz loads could only be worse. Try a powder more suited to the load. You'd be better off with the 12S0 wad or clone. I have found that Red Dot or Promo will work well enough down to 1150 fps in a one ounce load in these hulls. I'd be inclined to think that they would work down to 1090 or so as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.