1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading recipe for 20 ga gun clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Joe,

You've got all the right componets for quality reloads. Now just consult the Hodgdon website for a load that suits your needs. I personally like the 1200fps loads for all of my skeet/hunting loads.

ss

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ditto, I load Universal after I found International fills the case too much. Also I use the same powder for 28 guage.

HM

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

mirage1

The data for the STS should also work for the Gun Club hulls. The dimensions were about identical when I last sectioned a 20ga hull. If you are unsure, give Hodgdon a call and ask. 913-362-9455

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Gun Club (and Game) hulls use the same data as their STS counterparts. The main difference is the STS have brass shell heads and the others have a steel shell head. Game hulls have a 6 segment crimp and Gun Clubs had an 8 segment crimp, and that is the only difference between the two.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

mirage1:

As you are probably aware, Alliant and Hodgdon powder companies group 12 gauge STS, Nitro27, Premier RXP, and Gun Clubs together for reloading purposes. They do NOT list 20 gauge Gun Clubs with their 20 gauge STS data.

I respectfully submit that difference is enough to warrant a quick call to Hodgdon to confirm the applicability of data.

sissy

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Loading the same recipe in AA, STS, RXP, and the steel base remmys.

Chrony results are the same with minor normal variations.

HM

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've been reloading the STS's, Gun Clubs, Sport Loads and Shur-Shot Heavy Doves the same. Without issues. Yes, some are 6 & 8 point crimps but that is an easy change to the crimp starter. I seperate them.

Note: you make no mention of shot weight. I assume you are going 7/8 oz. ?

Universal Clays 15.8 gr., Remington hulls(all of the above), 20 ga. RXP's or Orange Duster wads, Win 209 or Rem. 209P primers, 7/8 oz. mag shot(8 1/2 or 9). I reload with these components and interchange primers and wads without any problems. They've been breaking targets well(as long as I do my thing correctly), cycling fine in my 1100.

1200 f.p.s.? I guess so or close to it.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

mirage1

I've been told the same by several reliable sources. Glad to hear you got it from the horse's mouth. Everyone told me that there would not be enough difference to matter.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It's a matter of wanting to deal with steel or brass bases. In the 20 gauge I shoot some skeet and hunt with I don't have any problems of shell sticking. I don't use any steel base in any of my 12 ga. target guns. At least not yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 ga orange duster loading data

gun club 20 ga loads

loading 20 ga gun clubs

orange duster 20 ga wads

recipes with 20 gage oarnge duster wads

reloading 20 ga gun club

remington shurshot hulls sp rxp sts 20 ga are they the same

what powder in gun club 20g loads