1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Milt. Teh "dummy-proof model would be the MEC 600 JR. But you'll grow out of that shortly. Those are available used for under $100. Go for that. And then when you got the basics down pat, move on to a reliable progressive. MEC Grabber would be a good next step. In your case buy a used 600, and when you are ready andknow what you want watch for a used model of what you are looking for.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think 99% of all rookie re-loaders start with a Mec 600 Jr. There must be a million sitting lonely and rusty in garages. Bullet proof and stupid proof.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I, like most shooters started with a 600 Jr. However, after you start shooting more and more that 600 Jr. gets to be a real pain. I would suggest getting a used Grabber. Just take your time and mount the loader on a platform. Some, place a "cookie sheet" or something similar that has a raised edge on it under the loader. (You will appreciate this when you have the inevitable spilling of shot)! The 600 Jr. is great if you only shoot maybe 100 rounds a week. Anything more than that and you will soon tire of it. JMHO. Ed

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I still use a Mec Jr. It is, as said, bullet proof. I only load about 100rds a week on it. Can't go wrong.

5. lostandout

lostandout Member

mec 650 is as dummy proof as you can get in a prog machine

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Sizemaster,still a single stage but with a better sizing system.......GOOD LUCK

7. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I started out with a used Mec 650. I had very little adjustments to make, a couple of improvements and I'm just barely now thinking of upgrading to a 9000g.

John MI

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A used grabber would be a good buy. Every push on the handle gives you a finished shell. A used one would most likely have the older type primer feed. I never really had a problem with the older feeds, but a consideration.

A used grabber should be an easy sell, if you decide to upgrade or just stop re-loading.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Milt:

You have heard the entire debate. You have two options.

# 1: start with a single stage loader. The Mec 600Jr is without question the most common example. Single stage loaders are simple to use and load very good shells. The downside is that single stage loaders are slow and low volume machines.

# 2: start with a progressive loader. Common examples include Mec's 650, Mec's Grabber, and the Pacific/Hornady 366. All are good machines and MUCH faster than single stage loaders.

Every time you pull the handle, you get a loaded shell. That's because there are multiple processes going on with each handle pull. That also means multiple opportunities for an error or problem.

Single stage loaders are reliable and 'dummy proof'. Progressives are not. My advice is start with a nice used Mec 600Jr. When you've loaded enough to be comfortable with the process, buy yourself a progressive.

sissy

10. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

NO reloader is "Dummy Proof" All depends on the dummy.
    Whatever loader U decide upon can produce dummy shells
    if U don't do your part.

Doyal

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Doyal---Very good point.

Thats why along with the loader you need some help get'n going. Its important to know what your doing before you load on any loader.---Matt

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Be on the lookout for a used Grabber. Used could mean you can get a few free lessons from the original owner. It may take a couple sessions, but Grabbers are not hard to operate and make a 600 Jr something for a dusty corner of the garage. If you're not comfortable with that, buy a 600 Jr, and begin looking for a used Grabber. Good luck.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Doyal---Very good point.

Thats why along with the loader you need some help get'n going. Its important to know what your doing before you load on any loader.---Matt

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Be on the lookout for a used Grabber. Used could mean you can get a few free lessons from the original owner. It may take a couple sessions, but Grabbers are not hard to operate and make a 600 Jr something for a dusty corner of the garage. If you're not comfortable with that, buy a 600 Jr, and begin looking for a used Grabber. Good luck.

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

And, get a scale...

16. maka

maka Member

Believe me done there done that. Forget the Jr., Buy a Mec Grabber. Put a piece of old carpet under your area. The Mec Grabber is a progresive type loader,(each pull of handle produces a new shell). Once you go thru the normal pains of initial reloading, you will neverer regreate buying the Mec Grabber. Good Luck.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Doyal is correct. No reloader is dummy proof.

If you are a dummy, do not start reloading. You are likely enough of a danger just handling a gun.

If you have some common sense, can read, and can follow instructions, any machine will make safe reloads.

Do not listen to the radio or watch TV or drink alcohol. Do not have the kids around. Keep only one can of powder on the bench at a time. Get a manual and a scale. DO NOT substitute components. And NEVER NEVER use a load from a friend or from Internet posts unless you verify it is published.

Don Verna

18. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Shoottilithurts - MEC all the way. I started out with a MEC 600 Jr., and I now use a MEC 9000G. A great product, terrific customer service, and an all around good company to do business with. I believe that they are the best!

Dave

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Milt, I too say start off with a single stage reloader. I believe the sizemaster is the perfect loader. These have the better resizer on them and you will not get a better load on any machine. Unless you are a high volume shooter this is the only loader you will ever need. Now ask yourself can I devote one hour a week to loading. How much spare time do you have? Do I want to invest $l000 to get started into loading to save a buck or a buck and a half a box? If you want to save money loading this is what you will spend to get started, more or less. You see you have to buy components in bulk. 8 pounds of powder, 5000 wads, 5000 primers, 10 bags of lead, plus the machine and a decent scale, funnel, ez-pak. You will need to devote a area to store these items, and empty hulls in your home, and keep them away from children. If you don't have children or live in a area that you can't shoot all year long because of snow, or are retired you can more than likely find the time. Do you have the time? Good Luck and BReak-em all. Jeff

20. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

What is a fair price for a Grabber 761R 12ga?

Ted Ingraham - Beavercreek, Ohio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.