1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I am reloading with a PW 800+. I want to fine tune a load but the available shot bushings from PW fall quite a bit on either side of my desired load. Is it common practice to carefully hone out a smaller bushing to achieve the proper powder drop?

Thanks,

John

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can hone a bushing out, but its best to clearly mark the bushing if you do.

How much is "quite a bit?" And are you weighing your powder drops???

I used to worry about this when I first started reloading, but frankly, if what you want falls between two bushing sizes, pick one or the other (preferably the smaller one) and go with it, because you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You can use Hornaday bushing in a PW. They are available in smaller increments.

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Ahab has the good answer. The Hornady bushings come in sizes that reflect the hole size, as in 429 is .429 thousands. I found myself not getting butchered bushings remarked, and then you don't have a starting point. So I just ordered a whole series in .002 increments and can hit just about anything dead on. Using slow powders like GD or Unique take larger bushings, so the fleet ranges from about .420 to .470 in .002 increments. Found a cool thimble holder that lets me display them in order for easy picking.

5. setool

setool Member

You can buy any size you require "Custom Bushings" from Whiz White @ S & W Supply. I know this for fact, because I made the blanks for him.

His phone # is (605) 341-4412, and he has a banner here on TS.com as well.

Mark Schneider

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- I always have a rat tail file in the same place I store my bushings.

Pat Ireland

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I may be getting mixed up(again) but I believe the Hornady bushings will fit but what I did was buy a Insert for the Hornady reloader and you can insert Mec bushings inside of it if you already have mec bushings. I had all four gauges in progressive mecs so I had plenty of powder bushings for about any weight. Then again you may not have any mec bushings. Jackie B.

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

A bushing adapter for mec bushings is a great way to go. You can also use the aluminum tape used for air and heat ducting to line the inside of a bushing for a quick fix. Keep in mind that powder density changes slightly from lot to lot and the effects of atmospheric conditions can affect the weight by volume measurement as well. Being one or two tenths off is close enough.

Robert

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Use a MEC 9000 with the adjustable bar. This way you can get exact shot or powder drops.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Get rid of a PW 800+ and use a MEC?

Next you will be saying time to get rid of that Perazzi and get a Rem 870.

Somebody notify the Rest Home ... 1oldtimer is out loose again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.