1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have loaded Clay Dot in the past and I liked it. But I have always heard that you can load the same load as Clay's powder.

But, looking at Clay Dot's reloading data, it does not have a 1200 fps shell using a Remington primer and wad on there site.

If Clay's can have that data, why then is it not recommended on the Clay Dot site. All they have is a lower 1145fps load listed.

Check out the URL above.

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't try loading some other powder besides Clay Dot.

What do you reloading Guru's think? I'm open to suggestions.

I like an all around shell that goes around 1175 or so fps. Works all the way back if I do my job.

Hauxfan!

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Haux, good question. Looking at the Alliant guide, if you use the Rem hull, Rem primer, and switch to a WAA12 or DRA12 or DRXL wad you could get 1175 with 18.2 grains and about 10,500 psi. Same thing with Clays. They still advertise Clay Dot is identical to Clays. BTW, on Hodgdon's web site it shows a Rem hull, Rem primer, Fig.8 wad, from 1090 to 1200 fps. using Clays. I think a call to Alliant is in order. Wayne

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I would try a 18.6 gr load and work back to get 1175 f/s.

If you want to stay with published load parameters, switch to a Win WAA12,DRA12 or DRXL wad and work down from 18.8 grs.

Jason

4. Hauxfan

Thanks guys, I appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

Mike, I'm sorry I forgot to say how much shot. I shoot a 1 1/8 oz load.

Jason & Wayne, that was a good heads up.

I saw where the Winchester wad does make a little difference. Just wonder why? Does it seal better or what? Inquiring minds want to know. Or it could be the weight of the was, I suppose.

That might make a little difference too.

Clay Dot is cheaper, but I can also go to Red Dot for 5 bucks more for an 8 lb container, which isn't a lot of money.

How do you guys like Red Dot? I know a lot of people use it.

Hauxfan!

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I've loaded Red Dot for 40 yrs. I think i get the most bang for my buck with it. I think it's a better powder now than 5 years ago. Cleaner and seems to drop consistantly + or - 1/10 of a grain.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I agree with ntrg8 ... I have been using Red Dot for about 35 years.

I tried 700X and Clays ... but went back to RD.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I do not use Clays or Clay Dot for 1200 fps loads with 1 1/8 oz of shot. It seems like they are powders that "Hit the Wall" pretty quickly. That is, you get very little increase in velocity for an increase in powder charge, and you get an abrupt rise in pressure. It might be fine in colder weather, but I'd hesitate to try it in warm weather. I keep my target loads under 10,000 PSI and would\ suggest using a more appropriate powder for such loads. A powder such as Green Dot woulod give the velocities while keeping the prssures more reasonable. There may be a good reason why Clay Dot is not listed for those 1200 fps loads.

8. Hauxfan

Thanks to everyone who has contributed here.

I've been shooting trap now for 35 years or so, and I've never tried Red Dot. Maybe it's about time I tried it out.

I have a friend that has always shot it and he does really well with it.

Thanks again.

Hauxfan!

9. oz

oz Active Member

why use the alliant site??????? try hodgdon.dom

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Haux, I started reloading 40 years ago and Red Dot is what I used for 25 years. I switched to 700X about 15 years ago because it was cleaner burning and metered better with a 600 jr. I just recently bought a one pound container of the "new Red Dot", and I feel it is much cleaner then the old Red Dot, and meters just as consistent as 700X. When I run out of the 700X, I'm going back to Red Dot.

I wouldn't know, but I would bet over the years, Red Dot has loaded more shot-shells by hand loaders than any other powder. Wayne

11. Hauxfan

Wayne, I would think you are probably right.

Hauxfan!

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Hauxy, if you've been shooting for 35 years and ain't never used Red Dot, your a damn communist!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on a helpful not, if you want a good 1175 fps load, look at American Select or Green Dot. Especially since your an ole gizzar and felt recoil might be alittle less noticeable :) Curvy's favorite in this fps range is American Select.

oz, you ask "why use the alliant site??????? try hodgdon.dom " Well recently we had a brother trapshooter that was down and out. An Alliant representive stepped up and donated two kegs of their powder to help with the fundraiser. Hodgdon darn sure didn't! That should be enough reason if you care about others!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.