1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Need some help. I have only been reloading for about 2 months and until today things have been working well. I haven't reloaded in about 3 weeks so today, prior to getting started, I weighed my powder (I use 17.5 grains) but today I can't get it to drop more than 16.5. The powder is older (was given to me to get started) but why no problems in past? Any thoughts, and should I just try the next size powder bushing? Thanks. Jill

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Jill: Sarge has really offered you a VERY complete list of things to check. The Other Fred

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Have you grounded your loader? Its getting cold and that means static will be a problem. I took a copper wire and bolted it to the loader and then took it outside and attached it to the ground line to the phone. Older house. In your case if your in a newer house you just need to attach it to the screw on your plug outlet. That is a ground. Once you do so try weighing it again. On the loader just make sure its copper on bare metal.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

What powder and what loader?

5. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Red dot and MEC 650....

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

After having a close lightening strike take out my TV, deep well pump, telephone, solder all my low voltage switches in place, either off or on, and burn all the insulation off my outside TV antenna wire, I would be hard sell for anyone to convince me to tie any kind of ground wire from an outlet to my reloader sitting there with a hopper of gun powder in it.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Make sure the powder bottle is more than half full. If you are using a baffle, remove it and see what happens. Grounding the loader may help some, but usually not. If you do, be sure to add a 1 Meg Ohm resistor in series. Check the charge bar travel, to be sure it goes full left and right when you are loading. If it's a different lot of powder, it can vary a bit from lot to lot. You can also shake the jug a little to be sure it is evenly mixed and not clumped up. Make sure you are consistent on the handle operation, and don't go too quickly. Make sure you hold the handle down at the bottom of it's travel for a second or so. Check the washers under the powder bottle. There should be a small brass washer and a rubber one on top of that. If either one of these washers are worn or distorted, replace them. Make sure they have not "shifted" positions either. The brass washer is domed. The smaller diameter "dome" goes toward the powder bushing. Check the drop tubes to be sure they are clear. You might try swapping the powder and shot drop tubes if they are the same. Eliminating static is best done with a humidifier.

I might have missed something, but if you get stuck, give MEC a call. Their tech support is great.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

The speed/force you pull on the handle can change powder drops. Grounding yourself before you grab the handle will do much more than grounding the machine. Just touch something metal. If you don't get a little shock you do not have a charge. If you get a little shock, you have taken care of the charge you had.

Pat Ireland

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

jlesley if you left the powder in the bottle from your last reloading session remove it to a separate container. Then refill the powder bottle with powder from the original container. Then see if it changes with out touching the machine in any other way.

I have experienced the powder drying out when left in the loader's bottles for any length of time. If this is the case it is just a matter of draining the powder and resealing it in the original container everytime you are finished. If not consider it an experiment.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.