1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm new to reloading and have just reloaded my first box of 28ga AA's. My question is, There seems to be a little more space in the shell compared to a new one. You can shake the shot inside a bit. Is this ok or should I be changing something. Thanks for your expertise.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a taller wad. What components are you using?

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

What reloader, what wad, powder type and weight???

First, don't seat your wad very deeply.

Whiz WHite<BR>
    P/W Distributor

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

as long as you are reloading using a good manual, and carefully sticking to the exact combination of components for the listed load you are using (do not substitute unless the substitute has been verified by the manufacturer as an acceptable/approved substitute for that component), then you have a good start.

As for a little too much space, places to start looking are if you are seating the wad with a little too much pressure. Actually, little to no pressure is necessary. What you want to do is to ensure the wad is fully seated over the powder, but it does not have to press down with the once recommended 40 lbs of pressure. Secondly, take a good look at the crimp. It is possible that you need to set your crimp die a little deeper to properly crimp the shell over the shot charge. I often see shells with a very shallow crimp, especially from those new to shell loading. Take a good look at a factory shell, and compare crimp depth to your reloads. Lastly, not all shothell wads are the same. If afte checking all the above, and fixing if necessary, you still get a little space and want less, then try another recommended load from a good manual, using a different wad and or powder (but don't just change the wad in this load). In any case, use only the components recommended in the listed combination.

Jim R

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The shell you bought new had a hull that was sized by the manufacturer to contain the components they chose to use; that includes the powder and the wad. Assuming your using published data... It's very unlikely that the powder you're using to reload has the same bulk as the OEM powder or that your wad is the same length at theirs. If your powder is more dense, it occupies less space in the hull; if your wad has a taller shot cup, the crimp will fold over the petals and not press against the shot.

A different powder or wad may make a difference but, frankly, I don't think I've ever loaded a shell that I couldn't hear some shot rattle inside, even with perfect crimps (except new AA hulls with wads that have short shot cups).

Carol Lister

6. headhunter

Thanks guys, I reweighed my drops and found the .75oz was .71 and the 13.2 grain was 12.5 grains. I might not be getting the right drops. Wad pressure might be something to check. I didn't consider that.. I'm using the mec 9000 machine that I bought used. It was set up for a different load because it had a larger powder bushing with it. My recipe is AA hulls, win 209 primer, 20/28 powder, cb 5034-28hs wads, .75 oz of#9 shot. I'm using a #15 bushing.

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

ALWAYS use a powder scale to determine that your powder charges are the correct weight for the data.

Load data specifies powder by weight but bushings drop it by volume. It is normal to discover that your bushings are not dropping what the bushing chart says they should. Select the bushing that gives you the right weight and check the bushing each time you open a new bottle of powder.

There is nothing wrong with using a bushing that's different from the one called for if it gives you the weight you want!

Carol Lister

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Open up the shot drop cylinder on the charge bar with a round file until it drops .75 of an ounce. More shot = more targets hit. HMB

9. headhunter

got it guys . thanks. I think I'm dialed in now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.