1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lineman1002, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

Hello fellow clay shooters, I got a newbie question on primers. I started loading 209 nobelsport and have found a couple with the flash hole covering missing. I took a pic and I believe that's what they call it. I've haven't noticed this when loading before so thought I should ask how will this affect the reload without that covering? Thanks Todd.
    [​IMG]

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too concerned unless you are loading fine ball powder that might sift thru the flash hole. I have seen a couple that resulted blowing out thru the base of the primer and moving the case into the barrel. With the rim rolled back they are heck to get out of the barrel. Fortunatly, no damage and no one harmed.

Big Jack

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

They are easy enough to repair right in the loader. Punch out a few circles of wrapping tissue with a 1/4" hole punch, dab a little clear nail polish around the open flash hole with a pipe cleaner or toothpick and stick a tissue circle over the hole. Nail polish glues the circle down and seals the flash hole.

Carol Lister

4. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

Thanks Big Jack and Carol. I wouldn't have felt right loading them not knowing the consequences. Last thing I want to do is put my fellow shooter or myself in a bad situation. Thanks Todd

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If it's just a few of them why worry about it. Load them and keep them separate for the practice range.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

If they're OK for practice, why wouldn't they be OK for everything else?

It's good when a reloader takes what they're doing seriously.

Lister

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Some of the primers out there actually have a small dab of either epoxy or some sort of clear lacquer-type paint covering the hole.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Todd.... Don't worry about them. Take them out of the tray and throw them away! Not worth bothering with or worrying about.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. 100straight

100straight Member

I've loaded over 30K of these primers, and never had a problem. Every tray has 5 or 10 with open flash holes. I just load em and shoot.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

An indication of manufacturing consistency. If they cannot get the obvious right............well????

I stopped using the cheap stuff and shoot only Federal and AA primers (depending on the hull). Saving less than $200 a year with little or no published data; while shooting a $16k gun and spending $300/day for match fees, hotels, meals, gas seemed rather pointless.

Don Verna

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with them using clays or claydot powder. I don't worry about it.

I've had more problems with the cheap primers Remington's using in their gun clubs. And don't tell me there the same as the STS's.....

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The covering is there to prevent very fine powders from migrating into the primer itself. That could cause some issues if it happens. If your powder is a coarse grain or flake type powder, I wouldn't worry too much. The Ball powders are another story, I'd be sure the primers were covered for those. You can fix them, or put them aside and use them in loads with coarse grained powders.

13. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I agree with Don. Cheap primers aren't worth it. You do save a few bucks, but not that much. I think Don's point was well stated. Consider the total picture. I loaded Fiocchi primers one time. No prob seating them, every one went bang. What I did notice was the targets broke differently. Not sure how, they just did. As everyone knows, if you think something is wrong, it will be. I stopped and went back to Winchester primers. Used up the Fiocchi's on pheasant loads.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are only talking about a few of them jut load them and shoot them empty. Big deal! If you're talking a bunch it may be something to take up with the manufacturer.

15. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

You'll also find this with Fiocchi primers, I've loaded maybe 35K of them some with the seal missing. Never noticed one bit of difference in sound or preformance. I use Claydot and Greendot powder.

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

After abt 3500 nobles only seen 6 I don't use them.
    Railroad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.