1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dan001, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan001

dan001 TS Member

I'd like to know how to tell when a case has been "shot out". I know to look for split ends at the mouth. Obviously, if the case is crushed or visibly damaged, I do not reload it. But are there other signs to look for? Does anyone have pictures? Thank you.

2. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Interesting and timely question, at least for me. Thanks...

I started reloading last December and am still using the same hulls I collected last year (Rem GC's mostly and some STS). I have reloaded these hulls at least 5 times so far and am only noticing that the final crimp on about 1% are "messed up". The 8 point crimp is only 7 points or something ugly like that. I mark the base of those individual shells with a "sharpie", shoot them one last time and toss them. As far as the other 99% are concerned, they still load and shoot nice for me but I am starting to wonder if there is a "set point" where I should just toss them all and start with fresh hulls.

There was a recent thread here that had a link to a report where they reloaded and tested a number of brands of hulls and stopped after 12 reloads with no real degradation in performance. It was enough to convince me to continue loading and not worry about the fact that I am starting to load the same hulls for a 6th time.

But I will be anxious to hear from more experienced loaders since like I said, I just started loading late last year.

Again, thanks for the question...

Greg

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hold the shell up to a overhead light. if you see a pin hole in the crimping area, trash the shell.

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Five reloads is our limit. Someone (I can't remember his name... Lutz, maybe) did a test some years back and found that crimps had lost their strength after the 5th reload and that charge pressure started to fall off rapidly after that.

That aside, we discard hulls once they start to leave black rings of soot around our firing pins indicating that the primer pockets are leaking and the trash is blowing back into the actions. That usually begins with the 4th or 5th reload.

Carol Lister

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Shot Gun Sports - The Magazine had an article on the performance of shell casings and the number of reloads. Very good... worth ordering from them. The performance of the shell drops significantly after about 4 reloads. I stay on the safe side and reload no more than 5 times [mark with a Sharpie on the bottom of the hull]. Check for cracks in the hull, frayed ends [Green STS], and holes in the bottom of paper shells. Fred

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

good crimps are the key to consistently performing shells. When you develop splits or pinholes where the crimp folds over, it time to toss them. Same with softness or looseness in the "hinge" area.

Basically, lightly squeeze each case mouth when you are loading. There should be resistance. If there is, and there are no splits or holes, the hull is good to go.

7. mrjim22

mrjim22 Member

I agree.

Four to five reloads with STS is about all I do now. I went through what Dan001 is trying to get an answer to. Early in my reloading I tried to get as many reloads as possible from each hull. Then wondered why my performance at the range was falling off. I still check each hull before putting into my P&W, and have found that 'some' hulls have problems after only two to three rounds of reloading.
    jim

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I thought my recollection on the reloading article was different... I recall the article showed that there was not a huge falloff in results and that some hulls could be reloading nearly ten times...

Glad to be corrected if I'm wrong,

Jay

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

spitter,

Sent you a PM

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The hull on the right is abt at the end of it's useful crimp-life.

[​IMG]

11. dan001

dan001 TS Member

Thanks everyone for your input!!

12. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

If as you guys say is true I should be able to tell the difference, in target breakage, recoil, and a few other things. I load my G/M hulls a min of 10 times.

They were reloaded 15 times before the plastic composition and or (smooth hull) design change. I toss them when the crimp edges split more that halve way.

Crimps are still tight and I break as many targets can can't tell any difference.

My problem was wall og the hull thinning to the point of separating about half way down after 7-8 times was corrected by going to the 12S3 wad. I can only surmise that the difference in the OD of the wad and the ID of the hull was letting a lot of powder blow bye. Not sure but it stopped with the change of wads.

Rock

Jim

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I became VERY cautious with reloading when my daughter started shooting. These are little sticks of dynamite and at age 13 she would not be able to discriminate a badly loaded shell...thus will not/did not take a chance with a used too many times hull. Fred

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Rock

I had the same results with the 12S3 and 12S0 wads in the new GM hulls. No hull separations with the right wads. I've never had one separate. The few I have seen were loaded with a wad intended for a tapered hull. That does not mean it can't happen, just that I have not seen any. I also don't load a shell to the point of using tape and Elmer's to keep the shot in.

15. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

I reload GM's 5or 6 times and some do open up an loose shot,but it mostly wrong wad selection.Win. old AA's say:with long lasting reloading qualities.New AA's and Fed plastic fields exclude any mention of reloading.Rem. only mention is that they sell premium reloading supplies So the Tort lawyers have muted the manufactures,but they sell supplies to reload.Safe is less letters than sorry 4 times is safe more is up to you Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.