1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

i posted my recipe that i was going to use thankfully my fellow shooters set me straight it took a little while to sink in but it did so i made some changes with 700x and a mec 30 bushing and got a 16.96 avge and also tried a 31 and got 17.65 how much difference in fps is there in 1\2 grain

new load is aa hull win primer 17grains 700x blue duster 1 1\8 oz 7 1\2

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

trapman99

I would go with the #30 bushing at just a hair under 17 grains if you must use these components. That load would be about as hot as I would go. It would probably get you over 10,000 PSI, but still be under 11,000, unless there are some other variables that could affect your pressure. You should get close to about 1200 fps or a little under using those components. The #31 bushing at 17.6+ grains is just too far on the hot side for my preferences. You wouldn't gain enough in velocity to make the extra pressure worth the risk. How much velocity you would lose or gain really depends on the load and the components you are using. With 700-X and your components, I'd estimate about 25 fps for a half grain increase/decrease. It's not worth the extra pressure. I'd suggest trying a #29 bushing and getting your load closer to 16.5 grains or a bit under. It would make a nice 2 3/4+ dram load and produce less pressure. You'd probably not notice much difference in the velocity or performance. You'd save a bit on powder, recoil, and be in a safer pressure range. I have used 16.3 - 16.4 grains with the Win WAA12 wad, Win AA hulls, Win W209 primer, and 1 1/8 oz of shot. It gets me around 1165 fps in my barrel. The Blue Dusters were about the same velocity when I loaded them.

If you need to go faster, I'd seriously recommend selecting components that would give you UNDER 10,000 PSI pressure at the velocity you desire. Be sure to select components that are listed in the data and do NOT substitute components without data to support it. Using a different wad like the Remington Figure 8 or the Windjammer would apparently decrease the pressure while maintaining the velocity to some extent. You can check the data at the Hodgdon Website. I've provided the link for you, above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.