1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm a new member here but have reading and gathering info here for several years now. I started shooting trap four years ago but have been wingshooting for 30+ years. I used to reload with my dad whom died 10 years ago and took all his info with him. I have been reloading again lately with his 600jr. I just do a basic 2 3/4 dram and 1 1/8 shot. My question is, how many grains is going into each load? I'm using a number 1 die and 7 1/2 shot. What if i change to 8 shot? Will that change the grain number? Excuse my ignorance but i'm purely reloading on what i remember, and my memory is tapped out. Thanks in advance............Matt

2. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Matt

I normally dont post something worded quite this strong - but please consider my words with care.

All I can say is you should STOP until you get hooked up with soneone that reloads that can help you understand powders, bushings, drop weights, hulls, wads, primers, crimp........

You could buy a good reloading book, but hands on help is best.

Just loading "from memory" and not understanding FULLY what is going on is a good way to blow up a gun and hurt or even worse kill yourself or others.

John

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Matt:

STOP whatever you're doing and for heaven's sakes don't shoot any (or any more) of what you've loaded.

Your note makes it clear you need some real help. Far more help than anyone can realistically share in a post on this forum. If you don't have a friend at a local club you can ask, send me a private message and I'll get you started.

sissy

4. grntitan

Hey thanks for the comeback and concern. I ahve already fired almost 600 rds of my loads. I only load this one load and i shoot from the 16 as well as the 25 with them. For my worries you have now sparked, what did i do wrong? I'm smart enough to know not to tinker and only load published tested loads. I just want to know where i went wrong?

5. John 53

John 53 Member

Matt,

Here is where you went wrong:
    i'm purely reloading on what i remember, and my memory is tapped out.

My friend, reloading improperly can maim or kill you or someone around you. You need to realize that your DAD had taken the time to learn the ins and outs of reloading, and you need to do the same. That is why everyone wants you to:

1) Try to get a coach from the gun club where you are shooting to teach you
    about reloading. Most of the guys will be glad to teach you.

2) Buy a good reloading handbook and read it.

This place is great for helping folks out, but we all realize the danger involved with reloading, that you can easily overcome with a bit of tutelage. We just do not want to see you or anyone else hurt.

Please take the time to learn to load properly. Good luck.

John

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

First thing Buy a scale if you dont have one . Never trust a bushing or bar or a chart . Follow a CURRENT recipe. There is plenty of help out there. Jeff

7. grntitan

I understand exactly what you are sayn and i will take your advice. I do have a problem with the way you were able to pull so much info from a meaningful well but somewhat sarcastic thread that i started. I know quite alot about my loader and the crimps powder funnels how to store powder the various wads once fired hulls junk hulls the different primers chilled shot as well as soft shot the various powders and types of grains of powder how to identify a bad crimp and well enough to safely load the load i have been loading and shooting. That being said i will take your advice and have a friend over-see my operation now that you have given me a complex. I simply wanted the info to be able to check the cost effectiveness of my small operation of reloads. Don't take this the wrong way but now i remember why i only read and never joined because of the way people can be treated as a brainless child. I guess what im saying is get all the info b4 you treat people like an idiot. By the way as bad as this sounded, im not upset. I acyually apreciate the care. And no i dont know everything about reloading or anything else at that. I believe you can never quit learning.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

grntitan No one here was or is belittling you . We are safety minded and don,t wish to lose a shooter to a reloading mishap . You did come off badly .

Best of Luck PS you need a thicker skin .

ALF

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

They said is so strong because they care about the safety of a fellow shooter and reloader.

WesleyB

10. grntitan

I fully understand all who responded and trust me my skin is fine i guess there was a sore spot.LOL We never used a scale in my 30+ years of reloading with my dad but i will pick one up tommorow. We never had an incident(i know there is always a first) loading the way we did. I might add we never loaded one single different combo purely for the reason we hunted dove and shot backyard trap. The load worked.

11. grntitan

So i know and can better my knowledge, what books do you guys recommend? Please don't say "Reloading For Dummies." LOL

12. grntitan

Ajax-- Thanks for your information. That makes alot of sense and as i said before i am taking this all in. I am picking up a scale tomorrow and i am searching for books now. I guess i didnt know that the machines had changed so much and i was stuck in the dark ages of reloading where things were done more dangerously per say. I admitted b4 that i believe you can always learn. Thanks

13. grntitan

I use Alliant red dot powder WT12 wads AAhulls and STS when i get em Winchester w209 primers and 7 1/2 chilled shot with a number 1 bar 1 1/8 shot.

14. grntitan

Yeah i do see why a scale is important. I also see why i need to update my equipment so i am safer. Can you say ticking timebomb.LOL Its not really funny.

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

A very good reloading book to pick up is Lyman's 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook. It can be order from Gamaliel, link above and I think Cabelas also sells it.

Jason

16. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Matt, I too have been doing this for a long time. The old Bar Chart for my 600 JR only shows three loads for the #1 bar, 1 1/8 shot, 21.8 grs. Alcan 120, 24 grs. Dupont PB and 21 grs Green Dot.

The guys are trying to save your butt. With the same powder mixing primers, wads, or even hulls, can run the pressure to unsafe levels.

Get your scales and read, read, read, you will be OK. After all you did say; I believe you can never quit learning. GOOD LUCK

17. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Matt

You said:

"I do have a problem with the way you were able to pull so much info from a meaningful well but somewhat sarcastic thread that i started."

I am sorry, but I did not detect the sarcasm in your post.

You also said:
    "Don't take this the wrong way but now i remember why i only read and never joined because of the way people can be treated as a brainless child. I guess what im saying is get all the info b4 you treat people like an idiot."

I have only been a member since Jan of this year and I also feel like this when I read a lot of the threads here - so much so that I have considered no longer participating a couple of times.

That said, I was concerned for your personal safety as well as that of those around you. I am sorry if I pi$$ed you off even a little, but I would make the very same post to a similar thread if one shows up.

John

18. grntitan

Ok folks. I ordered a Multi Scale Universal Charge Bar, the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook #5 and a decent digital powder scale on-line today. I'm taking all the advice i got and i'm gettin' safe as well as more modern equipment. Why is it that one hull can't be loaded the same as another? EXAMPLE: AA hulls as opposed to STS hulls. I don't want to get into my unsafe practices again, but we always did in the past. Trust me i've read enough since last night that i've stopped 'til i educate myself.

19. grntitan

John-- Apology accepted and i over-reacted to the responses i recieved. That being said i now understand it all and i am making changes to make my practices to be both safe and more modern. I just think some people could go about posting to others in a different more adult like fashion.

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's another tip: Page Bob Dodd on here and ask him for his operating instructions for the Universal Charge Bar. You'll be a lot happier (do't get me wrong, it was a wise purchase).

Also to save yourself a lot of grief: Get yourself a bunch of STS or Nitro27 hulls from Pap Charlie and forget about using any other hull.

Now, go enjoy yourself. This is the fun part.

P.S. Keep an eye out for a used MEC Grabber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.