1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a reloader for 12 ga shells. About how much does it cost to reload a box? What is a recommended reloader for a beginner?

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Use the calculators on the homepage funstuff to determine your costs and how long it will take to payoff your loader.

My reloads are running me about $3.50 for 1 oz and about $3.80 for 1 1/8. That is half what factory STS run and they shoot just as well.

3. Steven

Steven TS Member

Beginner relaoders should shoot on thier own line as not to endanger other shooters. Too many guns blowing up due to junior reloaders making mistakes!!!. Anyone argue with this point, please shoot with the junior wantabe reloaders and don't bitch when something happens. Beginner reloaders are no different than a DRUNK kid with a driver licence.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If you can buy in bulk, (go in with another shooter, if possible) you can save a quite a bit. My reloads run me about $3 a box for 1 oz. loads. I use Lawrence magnum shot, Fiocchi primers, Downrange wads and Promo powder. I use Remington hulls that I pick up at the local gun club. I'll put them up against any factory Top Gun, Gun Club, Estates, etc. If you have never reloaded before it will be a learning experience. Some will say to start with a MEC 600Jr. Nothing wrong with that. However I would recommend a Grabber. With this reloader you can progress into loading shells at a more efficient rate. Just start out slow and place a large cookie tin under the reloader; as you will have a mess for a while. The cookie tin will catch the shot from going all over the floor. It should be noted that I posted this response before noticing Stevens response. Stay away and don't listen to people like Steven. Good Luck Ed

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with esox. Don't listen to negative comments. Just be very careful and ask a lot of questions. Plenty of help here. Reloading is partly about saving money but more about having fun

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Use a good scale to be sure of the powder charge. Follow the manual (any one that is published by a powder mfg. is fine), and never experiment on your own.

Any good loader on the market now days will do an acceptable job. When you want more shells quicker the price goes way up.

Buy as large amount of components as possible at one time for the best price.

Don't start out too big you may not like it as much as you think. I do and so do most people that reload.

You should save about 1/2 over purchased shells.

Rock

Jim

7. Steven

Steven TS Member

Load your own shells and be liable for damages and injuries to others. I agree with (esoxhunter)and(cubancigar2000)save a $buck$ and loose your house/income forever. (NOT WORTH IT)

8. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

It seems like this thread was about cost, not whether their should be new reloaders. That said, I believe nearly all the blow up threads read something like - another Kreigerazzi blew up today, it is not know if the reloaded shell was the problem, but Stevey was an experienced reloader with about 30 years experience.

Maybe Tom should stay away from experienced reloaders with Kriegerazzi's.

All characters and brands were strictly fictional and any similarity to actual people and brands is strictly confidential.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Steven: I support your right to express your opinions on this forum. That being said; as I conducted a "Search" as to your involvement on this forum. It seems you have been "involved" for approximately 3 weeks. (At least under the current sign in name of "Steven") My opinion, and that is all it is, you will not be making a lot of friends on here by being judgmental and demeaning. Tomc66 asked for assistance in reloading. Most of us will assist. To many of us reloading is an integral part of our shooting experience. If you do not agree, so be it. When you squad it is my recommendation that you check your fellow squad members range bag to assure you of their use of factory ammunition. This, I'm sure will allow you to be more comfortable on the line. Ed

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Well said esox. I want to personally welcome him as a new shooter and reloader. He will learn a lot here as well as we will learn from him

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Been reloading for 20 years without any problems. But..I use a scale to confirm my charge each and everytime I start a new batch. Don't trust your memory, and always load by the manual. Oh, and don't drink adult beverages and reload.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom66, Reloading can be very satisfyng or a big pain in the xxx. If you are thinking about trying it to save money, I think you might be better off just buying new shells. Now with that said, If you really want to start off, try someones loader at your club and load some shells up. Only after trying to load some shells will you be able to tell if you like it. If you do enjoy loading be prepared to spend about $1000 dollars to get started. If you really want to save money you have to buy in bulk. You can find out from loaders in your area where they are buying from. Also you will need to spend some time reloading so if your time is limited with family and children, work and so on it might not be for you. Only you can say one way or another. Most of us load as so we can have a load we like to shoot that is hard or even impossible to find from your local supplier. Or maybe because we want to stay connected to shooting when we can not be there shooting like because of long and cold winters, good time to get loaded up on shells. Or maybe we want to spend some quality time with our family or friends reloading together or for a special hunt. Now go and load up some shells and see if you like loading and let us know what you think. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hi Tom, Reloading can be a lot of fun or a real PITA, not unlike some of the posters on this site. Fortunately, you've had some good responses from some very nice people. The main reason I reload is not to save money, but to have flexibility in what I shoot. Light 1oz. for 16 yd., 7/8oz 12ga for old double barreled guns at skeet. You need to spend some time with some one you know to get you started on the right page, scale,safety,experience,safety. It's a lot of fun but a little bit of carelessness can cause big problems. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for opinions, you'll probably find at least a couple on this site. Bob

14. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. If reloading is dangerous to myself or others then maybe I should not be interested in doing so. I recently retired to North Carolina. The housing community I moved to recently set up a single trap range. We have about 25 men interest in the sport but we are all relatively new to trap shooting. We shoot twice a month and are attempting to learn as much as possible about our new sport. We all purchase our shells at WalMart and was thinking that we, as a group, could reload, save a few bucks and have some fun doing so. Hope you have a nice day.

TomC

15. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Welcome Tom, You guy's should go for it, as a group it can be alot of fun, follow the good advice given by the other posters here,not all of us are *!!holes, ask any questions you need someone will help you. Good Luck.

Rick

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tom, Thanks for the extra info there. Now it is apparent that you do have the time. Also seems that you will have more than enough other shooters to help with buying your components in bulk as well. I hope that I did not appear to stand offsh. I do have to drive for hours one way to save the money to buy components, so I need to buy in bulk to save on shipping and what is called Hazmat fees that all three postal companies charge to ship hazzerdise products. A good used machine will run you from $75 to $300 depending on the speed you want to have. Mec is the biggest maker of reloaders in the USA. You can find them at Mecreloaders.com. Single stage is the simplest and the slowest, cheapest, while the 9000g is the fastest and most complicated and most expensive. Do look at the website and compare machines and prices and features. If you look at the ATA clubs in your state and area at the beginning of this website before you log on, you will find all the trap clubs in your state. You will then be able to find one close to where you now live. Please go there and check it out. They may be able to sell you what you need to get set up and supply you with what you will need. You want to try to find local, driveable places to get your supplies. But most important do try to find someone with a loader to not only help you get started, but to see if you like it. It does not sound like you are going to be shooting a large amount of shells so A Mec 600 jr. or better yet the sizemaster will serve you nicely. If all you want to shoot with one loader or two, do not get the 650 progressive machine. Trust me on this one. Next is the grabber and a bit more money. You can find them here used if you ask. You will need a scale to check your powder and shot drops to make sure you are dropping the correct amount. Their are on-line websites you can visit to get the data for your reloads. I might suggest the one oz. loads as they are a real pleasure to shoot after those 3 dram walmart specials you are now useing. Now I hope I got you thinking about what you want to do next. If you have a questions about something, just ask away. We all will try to help. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I can only wish I could load the competitions shells!!!!

lucky dog

tony

18. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I used to reload, but no more. I can buy almost anything I can load and my time is worth ten times as much as I would save by loading. The only exception for me is loading some non-tox stuff for older guns. So it depends on why you want to reload. If it's to home brew some special wonder load that you can't buy elsewhere, go for it. But if it's to save money, rethink it.

19. Steven

Steven TS Member

TOM
    I think that’s great that you guys are starting into trapshooting. I wish you guys all the best. However, some people on this site will support anything without tell you the potential dangers with reloads. Sorry to everyone, but I can’t do that!!

Read some Threads regarding guns blowing up and you will see most are caused from reloads. Over charged load, Wad stuck in the barrel, Hulls stuck in the barrel…

There is a reason why some of the best gun manufactures (Kolar, Krieghoff …) stamp “USE FACTORY LOADS ONLY” into the barrel.

If you decide to reload follow what Setterman said.
    ”use a scale to confirm charge each and everytime. Don't trust your memory, and always load by the manual. Oh, and don't drink adult beverages and reload.”

Good luck and be safe.

20. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I say do it. A friend and I bought a shot maker last year are making our own shot and reloading for about $2.20/box. You can't buy factory shells for twice that, and even if you could, they would be junk compared to what we reload. We just have to put our time and effort into it, and considering you are retired, you should have the time to reload. I had very few problems when I started reloading, but my 2 trap guns and sporting clays gun are still in one piece, so they obviously weren't that big of problems. Just a blooper here and there, but the cheap loader could have been to blame for that. Once I switched to a MEC 600, and found the right powder, it was smooth sailing from there. As for reloader, I wouldn't suggest learning on a progressive machine, get a 600 for cheap somewhere and start on that, get the hang of it and load a couple thousand shells. Then if you decide you want to go faster, invest in a good high quality machine like what was mentioned above, a P/W, Spolar, Dillon, RCBS etc. Hope this helps, and good luck. Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.