1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joegriff, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegriff

joegriff Member

I've never really understood what popular hull's are tapered and which were straight walled, also what wad's were made for the tapered and which for the straight hull's. Mostly interested in the old and new AA's, STS's, Nitro's and Federal GM's and the wads from AA, Remington and Federal.

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Take an empty hull and a pocket knife. Cut a section out of the length of the hull. If it is straight, the case will be the same thickness all of the way down. If it it thicker at the bottom it is tapered.

Mike

3. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I believe it is safe to say, Federal and Estate are straight wall and the rest are tapered. If you check the reloading manuals, they will show the correct wad for your hull.

Mike

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

AA, AAHS, STS, Nitros are tapered. Federals are straight. Fiocchi, Rio, Cheddite, and most other European hulls are straight. Generally AA, AA clone, Remington and Remington clone wads are tapered. Federal and Federal clone wads are for straight hulls. Some Downrange wads fit tapered, some fit straight hulls. (XXL-Pink is for tapered, XXL-Orange are for straight hulls.) Some wads fit acceptably well in both applications, such as PT28 wads or AAHS wads. What's the problem if you use one kind of wad with the other kind of hull? Tapered wad in a straight may allow powder migration past the overpowder cup. You may has some gas blowby due to poor seal. Straight wad in a tapered hull? It may be much more difficult to seat the wad. It may otherwise raise pressures.

5. Trap4

Trap4 Member

If this helps, I use Waa12, wads and Rem Fig 8 wads in Either Winchester hulls or Remington hulls and they both perform fine.

Trap-4 Oh this is with one and 1/8 of shot

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Very informative. I have reloaded thousands of shells and was never aware of any of this. For the first time I bought some Federal 20 gauge wads. I was loading them in Winchester and Remington hulls and they were bulging the shells and were going in very tight. I am glad I saved them and didn't throw them all away in disgust. Sounds like they will be perfect for my Federal hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.