1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshotr15, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshotr15

trapshotr15 TS Member

I accuired some Remington # 57 shotshell primers, I tied to reload them into a shotgun hull & found that they didnt fit, too small / loose .......
    Has anyone ever had this problem ? Am I using them wrong ?

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Remington 57 primers ARE smaller than every other primer with the exception of a few clones of the 57 made by other manufacturers. 57's are also quite old, or at least I have not seen any on the shelves where I shop for the past maybe 10 or 15 years.

They were sized to fit the Remington "SP" case. It was a field load case with a six point crimp. I seem to recall the low brass version of the SP case was called ShurShot but I can not recall what the high brass case was called. (The term low and high brass referred to the height of the brass head of the case. It signified the supposed "power level" of the case but in truth it was nothing but an advertising ploy since you could load the exact same load in either a low or high brass case.)

I can not recall seeing any SP cases on sale for maybe 15 or 20 years. The SP case was the only case that used 57 primers. There was also a Remington 69 primer that was the same size as a 57 but the 69 was used for .410 shells as I recall. It probably had a less powerful primer material charge.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The old Remington 57 primers might look good on the shelf where I have some other old reloading components displayed. Send me an e-mail.

Phirel@AOL.com
    Pat Ireland

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

theres a gent at the silverdollar in FL. he was buying these for a while

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

keep them if you run into the old remington paper or the rem express plastic of aroud the 70 they fit them rick

6. trapshotr15

trapshotr15 TS Member

Thank you Gentlemen for sharing your knowledge on my question. I really appreciate it very much. I was told that this forum was a good place to ask Q's & get true honest answers. Thanks again

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

trapshotr15- This is a fine place to ask questions. Most of the replies do give the honest opinion of the poster. Some of the replies are correct.

Pat Ireland

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And, some will argue or belittle without mercy. It's still a dandy place as you see....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.