1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Capt.Ron/FL, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

Can Federal Top Gun and Rio Hulls be loaded with the same components..Red Dot, Cedddite primers, clone wads??..

Thanks,

Ron

2. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

The Rio takes a different wad from the Top Gun. You should be able to find loading data for Red Dot for both, and the Cheddite primer should be OK with both. -Ed

3. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Personally I stick a 12s3 or 12s0 in them both. Straight hulls equals straight wads. One is a 6 point crimp and the other is an eight point crimp. That is the only difference I know of.

Brady

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If you load on a MEC, get the smooth crimp die for under $5.

I find that it crimps 6 or 8 point crimps, paper or plastic, like they came from the factory.

Other brands of reloading machines probably also offer smooth crimping dies.

Rio seems to be selling a lot of shells based on the garbage barrels I saw at the KY state shoot.

Ed Ward

5. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

I am shooting them for both Trap and Sporting Clays..Good shells and the price is right..

Arrggh..

Capt. Ron

6. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

I load both Federals and Rios. The Rios require the Rio primers, they are slightly larger than the Federal 209's. The Federal hulls can use the Rio primers ,but may be slightly harder seating on first use. I do not go back to Federal primers in cases that had Rio's used in them.
    CB 6100 wads work well for 1oz.loads in both cases. Load data in bag of Claybuster wads. I use Claydot powder same amount in both cases.
    Les.