1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I usually load Rem STS shells. I came into a large quantity of Rem Gun Club hulls. My reloading manuals differ regarding whether or not you can interchange component data between the STS and the Gun Clubs.
    I would appreciate opinions from those who have experience with both.

Thanks,
    JMAC

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Which manuals differ???

Load same as sts...

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I load them same as sts with no problems. I like them just as well as sts's

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Only difference is the steel base which is a tad more effort in the resize station.

5. psfive

psfive Member

I load them like STS hulls. If you run them in the sizer once and then shoot in just one gun there is very little need to size them again. Load em and shoot em. Paul in GINebraska

6. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks to all who replied. Good I will reload them as I do the STS.

Perazzi - the RCBS manual has different data for the two hulls.

JMAC

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I think they are more durable than the STS hulls even.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

If you think the Gun Clubs are durable, try some of those Remington black "Sport Loads" with 8 segment crimps. I've had some of these hulls longer than I've had some of my relatives. They don't know when to quit.....

9. Franktri

Franktri Member

I've been reloading them interchangeably for some time and find no difference..

10. baflstang

baflstang Member

I too have loaded them for quite some time and have not encounted any issues. The early Gun Clubs had brass bases just like the STS.

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The early Gun Clubs have a brass wash over steel, not the same as STS. Mark

12. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have noticed the rusty primers too, and I follow the Alliant Powder loading manual. I also like the Remington black shells....multiple reloads.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have also had GCs with brass (non magnetic) base metal but that was quite a few years ago. Now all I see are steel either brass or silver colored, I also agree that they seem to be one of the longest lived for re-loading. Yes a little more difficult to re-size.Ross Puls

14. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

The gun clubs seem to re-size OK in my PW 800+, but I can't get the primers in the GC hulls. The primers and primer ram bend the base of the hulls when seating the primers Most of the primers only go in about 1/2 way. Do not know what the problem is.

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't know what brand of primers you are using but some of the foreign ones are a "straight" cup and some are a couple 1000s larger than std American 209s also Rem. and some others have a small taper, I've tried both types & yes the straight type do take a little more pressure to seat the 1st time after the 1st time I don't notice any difference. REMOTE possibility---are you sure that the hull is EXACTLY lined up over the primer, if it's off a little it might be hitting the edge of the primer hole and changing the shape ie. "flattening" one side of the primer slightly??? Also don't know how PWs seat primers-spring loaded-vs solid-seating ram inside hull pushing on base wad- vs die just holding hull on the outside and then trying to push the primer in as this would possibly allow the base to bend up and not seat the primer all the way. I'm sure other PW owners will jump in with a good fix. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.