1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have a question about interchanging sts hull for WAA hulls.
    I am loading 1 1/8 oz shot, 21.5 grains of Green dot powder with WAA12 wads, W209 primers in AA hulls. I like the load but have found that I like the way STS hulls run through my loader. I would like to use STS hulls with the same components. My loading manuals so not give me enough info to say that this is OK. Both hulls are the tapered design and seem to be very close in dimensions. I know that all the manuals say to load using the EXACT components but I would sure appreciate some input.
    Thanks

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don't load anything that isn't in the manual. Call or Email Alliant Powders and ask them.

3. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I beleive this is a published load on Alliants website. Double check tho. (Looks like a kicker!)

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.125&weightdis=1+1%2f8&shellid=493&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What Setterman said. Whatever they say is the only right answer.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have interchanged AA and Remington hulls for maybe 30 years or more. I would think most shotshell reloaders do.

Setterman is right though, call Alliant. They will tell you to drop a half grain less powder in the Remmy hull.

P.S. I call Alliant alot because there are so many mistakes in that manual.

Wayne

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I shot a load similar to that most of last summer. In the STS or Nitro 27 hull, I used 21.5 grains of GD under the Claybuster version of the WAA12 wad and it worked just fine. I had originally tried Claybusters "White-8" wad (the Remington clone), but 21.5 grains was pretty crowded in the hull (bulging crimps sometimes). I switched over to the WAA12 Claybuster and it loaded and crimped well. I had been using 20.5 grains of GD, but a friend, who'd just made it to the back fence said 21.5 was the way to go. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but my flinch got progressively worse over the summer too. Next summer I'm going back to 20.5.

I gave up on the AA hull after the base wad fiasco. Why wonder if they've corrected the problem if the STS and the Nitro 27 is out there at the same price empty? Good luck.

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

There is a reason you can't find the same load for a STS hull. It is not safe. Allaint shows 1250 with .4 grain less powder and a milder R209P primer in a STS hull with a AA12 wad. Substitution is a bad idea. Substitution with loads that are already at maximum pressures is nuts.

Michael

8. Reinz

Reinz Member

Mag410 sums it up well.

If you're at max loads, don't sub.

While I switch hulls all the time, I am far from max loads.

9. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

What they said... Don't do it unless you check with the powder Manufacture

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That load is in the new Blue Alliant reloading manual 10,500psi @ 1250 fps

If you use the WT-12 wad pressures drop to 9800.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Switching hulls will cause the Moon to leave orbit and crash into the Earfh. Please be careful. HMB

12. creek

creek Member

I never switch a thing when going from Remington hulls to AA hulls; but I don't load them to the max either. I drop 17.5 gr of Promo, using the Down range XL 1 1/8 wad and Noblesport primer. I have never had a problem with the crimp, or pressure.
    John

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've never used Green Dot, but with every other 12 gauge powder I've used (Red Dot, Promo, PB, 452AA) I've dropped the same load in AAs (cf and HS) as I have in Remingtons (RXPs, Blue Magics, PTLs, Premiers, and STS).

I used a different wad in All Americans, "Power Pistons", and RTLs. I had to use a different primer in the RTLs, 209s wouldn't fit.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

NEVER and I mean NEVER think you can do this or that without looking it up in the manual and or reloading chart. You could harm the gun and or have it blow up on you. I have seen that and it has happened. I also load just under the max if I need to load that hot. That is very rare. Never the max.

I set my loader up for one hull and one load. I have a second loader for what ever. I will not change the trapshooting loader for any reason.

15. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Call Alliant. They will give you the right information for your situation. They will tell you what components can be substituted. They are really nice people and want to help customers.........

However, if you're serious about reloading, you may want to consider chrongraphing your loads through your gun.

I know it's not as critical for shotguns than it is for handguns and rifles. But, it's a good practice to chrono and pattern your loads. That way, you have data based upon your components and gun. You can pick up a used chronograph for about $100 or less on Gun Broker or EBay.

Good luck and be safe,

John Semprini

16. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Just a follow-up on this thread. I contacted Alliant who advised me that the component switch would "work just fine".
    Thanks for that good advise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.