1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deereRalph, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

A buddy of mine is having problems with his reloads. He uses a STS hull,Rem primer, Green Claybuster wad(7/8-1 oz.) using
    American Select. The book says to use 17gr for 1145 and 19 for 1200. We have noticed that his wads look like heilocopters(sp) and there is some shot that appears to be melted into the wads that fell short. Any thoughts,he is a new shooter and reloader. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Grif

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Where is the problem? Why are you chasing down your spent wads?

Matt

3. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

claybuster is softer plastic IIRC.so you will see more pressing of the shot into the petals.and they like to melt in your barrel,so more fouling to brush out of the choke/barrel.
    he maybe cocking the wads upon insertion sometimes,and that will throw them off balance.doesnt sound unsafe though.

how are the targets breaking?

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Grif,

Like Matt, I'm struggling to figure out what the problem is.

Do the shells look like shotgun shells?

Do the shells break targets?

What the wad looks like, and what happens to the wad downrange, are largely irrelevant.

Are we missing something?

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

By the wads looking like helicopters I'm presuming you mean the pedals are bent back. That is what they are supposed to do. The shot embedded in the wad is the result of soft plastic and the acceleration of the wad/shot going down the barrel. If your friend likes the way the shell preforms it sounds like he has a winner. Of course this is just my opinion only.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What kind of reloader is it? I use a Mec 9000G. From what you have said I would first empty the loader and then start setting it up again. Make sure there is nothing in the powder to block the powder from going in the bushing. The same with the shot. Make sure the shot tube is clear also. As for the wad. I put the wad on the ram rod so the finger of the wad is not being folded down so the shot is on top of the wad and not in the wad. Made sure the wad fingers of the wad guide is seated center of the hull and not on the side of the hull so the wad doesn't catch the side of the hull. If your friend can't find the answer here then I suggest he ask someone at his club to come over and help him. Sometimes that the best thing.

7. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Thanks for all the help, he was shooting from the 20yd line,the wad fell on the trap house or didn't get that far. They were all over. A club member gave him a few green duster wads and they were better. Do you think he should try a
    1 oz Clybuster? Some targets break great, and others are dusted. I don't see any issue with his mechanics, just a thought about his doubts in his reloads. Any more suggestions would help.
    Yours
    Grif

8. grntitan

Again, i don't think there is really a problem. It's not uncommon especially in a head wind to have the wads fall short or even land back close to you. The wad is designed to seperate as soon as it leaves the barrel. You may see better patterns on a pattern board with the 1oz wads but honestly i think there is no problem with the loads now. Load the 1oz wads and see if it helps. It never hurts to try different loads as long as they are safe published loads.

Matt

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Actually, I am working on a new wad type, to be labeled Helicopter brand. They will turn to the left for 16 yard loads, and to the right for Handicap.

Wad rotation is very important to shell performance, and the wads should be watched closely, especially during shoot offs. (snicker)

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A lot may depend on just what wad he is using. There are several "Green" wads made by Claybusters. If they have 8 petals, then they will not usually travel as far as many other wads. Hopefully they would be the four petal wad made to replace the TGT-12. Best thing to do is check the point of impact and shoot a few patterns to see what is actually going on. Some "Green Wads" were intended for different hulls. I would double check the wads to be sure they are the right ones for the Remington hulls. It's not unusual to have a few pellets imbedded in the bottom of the shot cup and also not unusual for the petals to be bent back somewhat. If you give us the EXACT details of the load, including the part number of the wad and the weight of the shot payload, it may help a little.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here on TS several years back, guys were talking about the Green Dusters having the magical ability to break targets when they struck the target! I searched my local range at that time and discovered how that was possible. Shot would embed itself in the wad making it much heavier and would carry a lot farther out than other wads!

Shot is probably embedded in the petals of the "helicopter" wads causing the guys concern above?

Any wad so soft to allow shot to embed in the plastic is too soft to suit me and I refuse to use such wads. I want all my shot toward the targets, not some buried inside the plastic wads!

Hap

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hap

We're on the same page about shot embedded in the wads. I don't like it in the wads I use, but it's still not unusual to see it in some wads. He said they were using Claybusters, so if it's soft plastic, I think the answer is there. Probably not much wrong with the load that a better wad wouldn't fix. I'd still check POI and a few patterns at 35 - 40 yards. I'm thinking they are seeing something like the Wally World Federals do. The wads fall short.

I don't use ANY of the Duster Wads. I got burned on several cases a few years ago when they had material issues. They will fracture at temperatures below 50 degrees. I've seen some fracture recently, so either they were from years ago, or they are still having a problem.

13. grntitan

Hap--Good point!!! I certainly don't need any soldiers riding the wad down. The Claybuster wads i've used are certainly a different grade of plastic than used by DownRange and other manufactures. I never had good luck with the Claybuster wads in my Pacific 366. They always wanted to load with the petals folded down.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.