1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING QUESTION, WHAT IF.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just keep loading and you are sure to find out.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Not a good prognosis...I'd guess a spike in pressure plus a possible scoring of the barrel from the steel primer jacket.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Stan, do ya think the primner would exit the barrel? Seems like it would stay in the hull. Don't really know though.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

That question has been asked before. I think Bruce Bowen loaded some and tested the theory in that old H&R he tried to blow up. If my memory serves me, there was no real difference.

5. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

WIth all due respect...I'm not an expert, but for what it's worth, I've been reloading for something close to 50 yrs now. I'd like to suggest..in a friendly way that if you're used to accepting that "clay chunks and BB's get mixed in" your loaded rounds...you might want to revisit your procedures.

6. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

would the priming mixture ignite within the metal jacket in that very short period of time ?? also i think it would be very obvious that something was wrong in your loaded shell. dennis

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

BB's? You mean lead shot is getting in your powder?

Clay chunks? What the he!! is clay chunks? Wayne

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

And so, my decision NEVER to shoot a "friend's" reloads is once again justified.

Don Verna

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Seems to me that spent primerw always jammed the decapping punch. Don't know about fresh ones.

10. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Don Steele,

the "real" Don Steele?

I admire your tact in posting your response.

My compliments.

John Malcolm

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

And the "you might want to revisit your procedures" is because ... ???

Need more info here.

Whiz

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Getting a primer down in the powder charge is going to make a difference. How much? I don't know but, I'm sure I don't want to be the "dynamic" tester.

Shot might get into the powder charge but it's far more likely than powder flakes will get into the shot charge. That happens when sweeping up spilled shot and "recycling" it back into the hopper.

I actually do look into each and every hull as I load it. Lots of strange stuff gets lodged in there including clay chunks, spiders, rocks etc. None of that would make for a safe or good shell.

13. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Thank you John. I'm most definitely NOT trying to come off as being a "smart-A88".
    Whiz...if you're asking me...my comment was intended to suggest a bit more care in pre-loading procedures might be in order to insure hulls are clean and dry, both inside and out and free of potentially dangerous foreign objects. To any who are wondering....I do inspect each hull prior to putting it on my MEC. I want to know it's safe to use, not wet inside, not carrying any foreign objects or external build-up on the outside. I further grade them by condition of the crimp area to determine their potential use. Each hull gets examined in a well-lit area...usually while I'm listening to "oldies" on the radio in my reloading room..!! For example...older hulls go into the pile for first shot of doubles...NOT into the Handicap pile. Perhaps I'm being a bit too "anal"...but to me it's all part of the enjoyment of reloading, which in turn is part of the enjoyment I get from shooting in the first place. Don't know if it makes a big difference, but that's what I do. Your experience may differ.

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I too sort into different piles, but I usually just sort by inspecting the outside of the hulls.

tony

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Unsafe reloading methods result in.............c'mon everyone, I know you can figure this one out!

AndyH ;-)

16. skip

skip Member

Informatio Wanted!

What club do you shoot at!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.