1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question, please...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MrMoeTN, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

It's been 25 years since I reloaded shotshells. I loaded a lot in my younger days but daddy in charge of components and I was just in charge of keeping the lever of our MEC warmed up and keeping us in duck and quail loads. I am shooting more now shotgun shells now than I am pistol and rifle and am thinking of getting set back up to load for my shotguns.

My question is this...if you were a man on a budget with mouths to feed who cannot afford to buy a ton of shot at once or a keg of powder at a time...is it even worth it to reload today? I don't want to tinker with loads, i can do that with my rifle and pistol stuff but here I want to turn out volume at reduced cost...if possible.

I was just looking at Gander Mountain tonight and noted shot was $50 a bag, 8 lb of powder was $130, sleeve of primers was roughly $2, claybuster wads were ~$16 a bag.

How far should you be able to stretch a pound of powder and a bag of shot loading 2 3/4 dram 1oz - 1 1/8 oz loads?

You fellers know what I'm asking, please help point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Chris Morris

2. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

Answered most of my question with a search...any other constructive banter or flaming welcome...

3. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

First off I would not buy from Gander Mountain, prices are way too inflated. Look around for a local gun shop or dealer, like Recob Target Shop here in Wisconsin, they will treat you fair. Shot around here is about $37.00 per bag 1 at a time, 8 lbs of powder depending on what you want $90.00 Red Dot, $95.00 700X, $100.00 Clays. Primers about $32.00 per 1000 for Winchester, Remington, and Federal. Wolf (close to data as Win) about $20.00 per 1000. Even buying small quantities you should be able to reload for less than $5.00 per box. A 25# bag of shot will reload 352 1 1/8 shells. Use the reloading calculator on this site to figure out your exact costs.

Good luck and have fun reloading.

Dan McDermott

4. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

Thanks Dan. What kind of mileage can I "expect" out of a pound of powder at 2 3/4 dram about 350?

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

First item, before any shot, powder, primers, wads of cases is a RELIABLE SCALE. Being a rifle/handgun loader, you most likely already have that on hand. The bushing charts shown in powder manuals and the like are not always accurate.

If you are not loading more than a couple of boxes a week, a single stage press would probably do you well. BUT, you may still want to look at a progressive. Yoy can always run it as a single stage till you build up confidence and experience. You can sometimes find a used press listed on this forum from time to time. Just a few days ago there was a Hornady Apex 3.1 that was sold for about $175 as I recall. SOme people, myself included, have used this press with great success but others seem to have a problem with it. A bit higher priced is the MEC. They are used by many people with good success.

As for costs, the single largest factor is going to be shot. To stretch a bag of shot a bit further, you may want to consider going lighter shot charges, 1 oz. or even lighter. From 16 yds and shorter handicap they work well. (There is one person who, if he reads this, will disparage and insult whoever suggests anything less than 1 1/8 oz. I just ignore this one person.) You can read through the various postings and decide for yourself.

You can get shells that are good for reloading by buying factory shells. You can also ask around your club. The current popular shell is the Remington STS or Gun Club. The loading info and set up is the same for both. WinAA (new style) are looked at as less desirable because of some problems that have had as reported by some users. The loading info and set up is the same for both.

Wolf primers are used by some because of their lower cost. They will run you around $30-40 a thousand. A 4 lb keg of powder will be a good start.

So yes, it is cost effective, if your time is available at no cost to you. If you lose income because of the time you spend loading or you have to hire someone to do other jobs around the house, then the cost savings may not justify the loss of income. Only you can answer that question. Having a family, with mouths to feed, may also put time demands on you that will cut into what is available for loading. Again that is a question you have to answer for yourself.

There is a shell cost estimate program available at the Trapshooters.com page under the "Fun Links" target. Figure what you would have to pay for what you are buying asnd then see what you component costs would be per shell.

Good luck.

6. Harold

Harold TS Member

A pound is 7000 grains, so if your 2 3/4 dram equivalent load uses 17 grains you will get 7000/17=411 shells per pound.

7. oz

oz Active Member

first thing to buy is 1 or more reloading manuals/books and read them. oz

8. jamiebanker

jamiebanker Member

I am guessing that you are somewhere in east Tennessee since you mentioned Gander Mountain. This may not be too helpful, however, but the two best places in Middle Tennessee to buy componenets are the Reloaders Bench in Mt. Juliet and, my favorite is Grady Jones in Murfreesboro. The last shot that I bought from Grady was $39 a bag. Was at Bass Pro last night and they had it for $60. Grady has cheddite primers and claybuster wads at great prices.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

To load on a budget, if buying lead at current prices cut it down to 7/8oz.

Lead Shot 12 7/8 oz. Clays CCI 209 WAA12L 16.3 8,800 PSI 1200 This is my money saver load I use for all but ATA shoots. Loaded in STS hulls.

I shoot 5000 to 8000 rnds a year. So
    5000 CCI 209 150.00

5000 Winwall Gray 7/8 wad 90.00

8lbs clay powder 98.00

25lbs shot 32.50 At this point it cost me 3.69 per box 50c more per box @ 1 1/8 oz Factor in hulls if need to buy .04 each seems to be the current rate.
    If you need to ship it in, well that changes a few things. A lot of things are not always available locally. For me its promo powder , wolf primers , 7/8 claybuster wads. about as budget as you can get. I load on a MEC650 love it crank out a flate in short time.

10. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

MrMoe, The advice given you in the above is good. A standard rule of thumb to load 1 1/8 oz. loads is; it takes three pounds of powder, three bags of shot,one thousand each of wads and primers to load one thousand shells. Places like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabellas, etc. are poor places to buy reloading components as their prices are usually much too high. Buying powder in small quantities such as in a one pound container is almost cost prohibitive as well. Ask the shooters at the places where you shoot as to where they get the "best deals" for components. You may even find someone who will weigh out three pounds of powder into a milk jug and sell it to you at a reasonable price. Part of the fun of all this is seeking out the places where you can buy what you want at the least expensive prices. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

11. MrMoeTN

MrMoeTN TS Member

Thanks Fellers, that's exactly what I was looking for...I just needed to boot the idea around and hear what more experienced hands had to say about cost...right now...and nobody even booted my hind parts...thanks guys.
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

25lbs of shot will load how many shotshells