1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question--Please help!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have a PW 900 loader and for some reason when re loading with Winchester AAs the hull has a small hole in the middle of the final crimp.Sometimes the hole is a bit larger and sometimes the hole is a bit smaller.This doesn't seem to happen with the Remington STS-green or gold hulls. What do I need to do to correct this "hole in the hull" issue? Thanks--Dennis

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

On the MEC I lower the crimp starter a thread or two. That is what I would do if that adjustment is available on the PW?

Regards

W&W

3. oz

oz Active Member

I think you will find that the NEW AA's are a little shorter than the OLD AA's. You can adjust or use the STS's which I like much better. oz

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The hole is mostly a cosmetic issue unless your shot is falling out. AA hulls vary in length enough that you can expect variations in the quality of the crimps. There are 2 things you can try that have both addressed the condition on my 900:

1) Lower the crimp starter about 1/16" and see what that does. It will push more plastic into the crimp. There must still be some opening left after the crimp is started but it may only be about an 1/8" hole. If you lower it too far you end up with scalloped shoulders in the crimp. You may have to fiddle with the final crimp adjustment to get the crimp you want. Winchester suggested this fix when they introduced the 2-piece hull to replace the1-piece.

2) I get the best crimps by replacing the 8-point crimp head with the smooth cone head that P-W sells for paper hulls (buy just the head). It forms a longer taper in the started crimp and adds the extra plastic that makes good crimps. It works so well for me that I just leave it in place when I'm doing Remington hulls. Making the swap is just a matter of removing the allen screw from the inside center of the crimp head. There should be some wobble in the head when the screw is snug.

MK

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

Dennis,

Unknown1 has the answer.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lower the crimp starter so you get more material into the crimp. Very common problem. Very easy to correct.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

You can use my accurate test to see if you need to adjust your crimp starter. Just close the lid on the shell boxes after you shoot the shells, shake the boxes and listen for a rattle. If your empty shell boxes rattle, lower your crimp just a little.

Pat Ireland

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Thank you.I will do this as you suggested.---Dennis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.