1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading question on shell life

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I am just getting back into reloading after about a 40 year hiatus, had to raise a family and retire from my job. Now I have plenty of time to enjoy all the shooting games (BOY HAS IT CHANGED IN 40 YEARS) last time I reloaded it was under the close guidance of my father, Now that he is gone and most of the OLD boys I got my advice from are also gone.
    My question is how do you know when a shotgun hull has been reloaded enough times? What do you look for to see it should be discarded and, replaced with a new hull?

Thanks for your advice..

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I reload Remington Gun Clubs which are a one piece hull with a steel base wad. They are cheap and plentiful at most ranges as pick up hulls. I mark mine with a sharpie pen after each reload and throw them after 4 reloads. This lets me not worry about them getting too warn out, with cracking plastic around the mouth of the hull, which is the main area of wear. You could probably get twice as many out of them, but by that time they are getting pretty ratty looking. I have a 32 gallon garbage can full of Gun Club hulls after scrounging for just a couple years. Have fun with your new hobby. Check the Reloading subforum on Shotgunworld.com. It's a wealth of information. Mark

3. TC

TC TS Member

Today I pitch any hull with a poor looking crimp or a hole anywhere in the hull. Years ago I would use wax or scotch tape to get "just one more". Hulls are not expensive!

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

My son,and I get about 6-8 reloads per new shell(STS,and NITROS).Used shells that are picked up at the club usually are reloaded 3 or 4 times depending on the shape of the crimp.If the crimp looks ratty we shoot 'em,and pitch 'em(cracks/splits ect).I hope this helps

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

AA's, Pin holes in the crimp, load once more and leave on the ground. STS/Nitro's likewise, or when the pedals start getting stiff, bent in, and cracked at the tip, load once more and trash. That's my method. I don't waste time marking each shell as to how many loads they've shot. And I don't reload throw away (cheapo) steel base shells.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I love the way the old AA and the STS and nitro hulls load, but I think that the gun clubs are more durable than any other hull you can load.

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Use a permanent marker to draw a line on the bottom of each shell after it has been reloaded. At 4 or 5 toss no matter how it looks. Fred

8. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Moose

Good advice above, if you do start loading the federal top guns due to the price they have a cardboard inner base guys dont really like them and pitch them after 1 reload .

I assume you still have a scale I have a LYMAN M5 1010 grain older but in good working I WOULD SELL SHIPPED FOR 50.00.

Pete

9. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

Thanks to everyone for there input. I have several thousand RXP green remingtons in great condituion left. They seem to load just like the STS and Gun clubs. I have already picked up several hundered Gun Clubs they look like a nice reloading hull. craby boy, I did puchaced a digitalbut scale, thanks for the offer. The internet makes it a lot simpler to get recomended recipits from the powder manufacturers. I think with all yours advice I will beable to know when it is time to let the old hulls fall.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And red dot and 700x are still being used....

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Powder and crimp depth will make a difference in hull life. I shoot STS with Green Dot, 19.5 grains. I use for practice and let them hit the ground when any cracks appear at the crimp or the shell mouth splits.

12. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

You didn't say whether OU or Auto but if auto, 3 times for AA and 6+ for Rem. You don't want to take a chance on the plastic basewad in the AA coming loose and ending up in your barrel as you make the move to the 2nd. target - could be a bad scene.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm an STS/Nitro user, but I loaded many an original AA and Remington RTL/Premier... pinholes, splits, rough/burnt petals... time to go. Stick with the one-piece hulls like your tlaking about...

Welcome back!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.