1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading question Cheddite and Promo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently bought 8lbs of Promo and the only primers I found were Cheddite. I like to load a one oz load using Claybuster wads but can find any loading info on the cheddite primers and only one recommendation on Alliant website for promo powder and none with Cheddite primers. I like using Nitro 27 hulls and Win AA's. Any references? Suggestions? Thanks for your input. Jackie B.

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

16.5 grs promo and either the AA or Rem. hull .

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

My load for promo is 19.grs-with win 209 primer, remington tgt-12 wad ,1oz shot-a little over 1300fps. I was told to stay away from cheddite primers with my krieghoff-that the firing pin can pierce the primer causing blowback, resulting in an broken firing pin. First hand from someone it happened to twice. But another shooter said been shooting them for years with never a problem.- Bt the way my hull is nitro 27

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

18 Promo with CB1100 or DR-TGT12 works great! About 1235 fps over my chrono.

AndyH ;-)

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Jack

17.0 to 18.0 grains of Promo would likely be ok with the CB1100-12 wad in either the Remington or Winchester hulls with 1 oz of shot, using the Cheddite primer. Looking at the available data that Alliant has posted, the pressures with their selected primers are not much over 8000 or 9000 PSI, depending on the load. That should allow enough headroom and keep you under maximums. If all else fails, you can run it past Alliant or send some out for testing.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I called Alliant several months ago when I too switched over to Chedite primers from AA's. They gave their blessing and I have not looked back. In fact, I prefer Chedite primers as they seem to reload better in the Spolar primer tray. Fred

7. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I asked Alliant the same questions just this week and using Remington hulls, Promo, and the CB1100-12 wads they said it was ok to use the Cheddite primers vs the Remington 209s

HTH,

Scott

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Jack, sent you a PM. Jake

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I use the same recipe poacherjoe gave in federal hulls and the lillady swears they have less recoil(she is 4ft 11in 119lb) and she a top shooter around here but I have loaded 4000 of them for both of us to shoot with NO problems at all.

Jerry

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My one ounce load is 16.5 grains of E3, Cheddite primer, TGT12S wad and 1 oz. of hard 8's in a Remington STS hull. These shoot real soft and clean in my 11/87.

I used to use Remington 209P's in this load but then Remington primers got scarce and costly so I saved the last 3000 Remingtons and now shoot Cheddite. I have shot about 6,000 Cheddite with no problems, misfires, etc. I have come to really like them.

I wish the Remington 209P's would become more available and come down in price but I am not holding my breath.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.