1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Question: Air space at top of the shell?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CA Turkey Huntsman, Jul 17, 2013.

1. CA Turkey Huntsman

CA Turkey Huntsman TS Member

A question for your experienced reloaders:

I just started loading .410s in both the 2.5" and 3" lengths. My hulls are AA HS in both lengths. Per the Lyman recipe book, I'm using the same type Claybuster (Win-equivalent) red wads for BOTH hull lengths. This wad completely contains the shot in the 2.5" hull but obviously does not in the 3" - but that is how it's done in the .410 world, apparently.

Here's my problem: Following the recipes, a 1/2 oz. in the 2.5" completely fills the shell, and my crimp rests right on the shot. However, putting 11/16 oz. in the 3" does NOT completely fill the hull and there is 1/16' - 1/8" of air space underneath the crimp. I am measuring the shot drops on a scale to make sure they are correct.

Will having this space at the top significantly affect the shell's performance? Might it alter the pattern or velocity of the shot? Do I need to place some kind of shot card on top of the shot before crimping, even though Lyman (and other recipes) do not call for it?

All expert advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You didn't say what kind of loader you have, but if you can adjust your wad depth (wad pressure) don't seat your was as deep on the 3" hull, or just forget about it.

To answer you questions, no, no, no, and no.

Wayne

3. CA Turkey Huntsman

CA Turkey Huntsman TS Member

Thanks Wayne. I'm using a MEC 600 Jr. and the crimp depth is set perfectly just like on factory rounds.

What you are probably not aware of is that most .410 wads (including the ones I'm using) do not have a "crush section" beneath the shot cup. It is a solid piece of plastic so you can't adjust the final wad height by varying the wad set pressure - you have to firmly set it all the way down and take what you get.

If the air space on the top is not going to materially affect shell performance - I'll just forget about it and keep reloading!

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Some have been known to place a cheerio or a bean in their wads to get the height just right. Seems like a good solution to your issue.

Even factory hunting loads have been known to use flaxseed "buffer." Your results may vary.

5. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

Use a bulkier powder and/or increase the powder weight in your 3 inch hulls. If you increase the powder weight you may need to go to a lower pressure (PSI)powder. I have found that "Alliant 300MP" works best for me.

Terry

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hi Uncle Herb. How you doin'?

Search tags for this page

fill air space in reloading

reloading air space