1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading psi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkfin, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkfin

blkfin Member

I,would like to know how to compare lup to psi if possible. Also,do the numbers have any berring on recoil ? I'm Trying to find a load for caps around 1200 fps that is not at the high end of recoil. I'm now shooting from 26 and it seems like the shot takes forever to reach the target. 17.9 grains clays,waa12 wad, win-209 primer and AA hulls. Is the (time to break) just a head game or would a faster load help? Hope someone can help me out. Thanks, Mike K.

2. blkfin

blkfin Member

I,would like to know how to compare lup to psi if possible. Also,do the numbers have any berring on recoil ? I'm Trying to find a load for caps around 1200 fps that is not at the high end of recoil. I'm now shooting from 26 and it seems like the shot takes forever to reach the target. 17.9 grains clays,waa12 wad, win-209 primer and AA hulls. Is the (time to break) just a head game or would a faster load help? Hope someone can help me out. Thanks, Mike K.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There is no direct formulation for changing LUP measurements to PSI measurements as far as I know. It seems to me that when I read LUP measurements it is a direct replacement recipe for factory shells. This isn't always the case, but frequent enough to say.

I've found Clays to be a bit punchy, much like Titewad, for 1 1/8 oz loads. Loading into straight hulls, Federals, will tame this a bit.

There are a lot of powders out there to acopmlish your task, I'd like Hodgdon's Tightgroup the best. It's a great year round performer and is easy on recoil. If it's good enough for Remington in their Nitro 27 'caps shells (1235fps), it's good enough for me.

PSI doesn't correlate into recoil, but speed and load does. PSI will however affect hull life.

ec90t

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Second Titegroup, Check the book for a load but 18grains works for me..

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

As noted, there is no way to adjust LUP to PSI.
    No, pressure is not a component in the recoil equation.
    1200 FPS and 1 1/8 oz load, plus the weight of your shotgun pretty much define the recoil. Some say a slower burning powder can make a difference, i.e. Green Dot vs. Red Dot, but few can really differentiate the difference. Reduce the shot load, or reduce the velocity, or make your gun heavier are about the only three options you have within the laws of physics.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I prefer Unique for my HCP load. I get 1250 fps at around 8500 PSI. Felt recoil is mild, the load gets to the target very fast and hits very hard.

Using a Federal Gold Medal hull with good components works well.

7. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

How much Titegroup would you have to load in a Top Gun hull to get 1255 with 1 1/8 oz of shot?
    Don

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Don,

I couldn't tell you as I've never seen any published data for Federal, or any other straight case hull. A call to Hodgdon might give you some better info.

ec90t

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ec90t you might try this site as it has quite a few loads for Federal Gold Medal hulls. Also Alliant's web site has loads for Federal hulls.

Bob Lawless